Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Snacker

Default Snacker

My little guy is 6 weeks old. For about the last 24 hours he has been eating for a few minutes, then almost falling asleep and seems to be just sucking with no swallowing. He seems content initially, then soon after starts fussing. If nothing else works to calm him i put him back to the breast. His amount of wet and dirty diapers has been fine, but I'm just concerned because he's being really lazy and is just snacking.

Is this a growth spurt? Is he just being lazy or falling asleep because he's not getting enough fast enough?

Default Re: Snacker

Welcome to the forum!

6 weeks certainly is a classic time for a growth spurt. Though spurts can occur at any time, many moms notice them around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months. During a spurt, a baby may change his feeding pattern pretty drastically, usually increasing his nursing frequency. This could be perceived as snacking, especially if mom is used to a feeding pattern where the baby takes in less frequent large "meals".

As long as diaper output remains normal, I don't think this is anything to worry about. It's probably just a spurt, and if it's not, and your baby really has altered his pattern to become a "snacker", that's still perfectly fine. I know a lot of people- including some doctors and the authors of popular baby care books- will tell you that babies "should" only feed every 3-4 hours and that snacking is bad. But that's not true. A "snacking" eating pattern is very normal for a breastfed baby. It can be inconvenient for mom, though! Some things you can do to encourage your baby to eat more are:
    - try breast compressions to speed milk to the baby and keep him awake
    - when nursing slows, take him off the breast, burp him, change his diaper, and put him on the other side, and repeat the process until you just can't keep him awake any more
    You also might want to try wearing your baby in a sling. Sometimes an increased feeding frequency is more about a desire to be close to mom than about true hunger.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Very frequent feeding is the best way for baby to increase your milk supply, which is just what he should be doing at growth spurt time As your supply ramps up to his hunger quotient and he gets more efficient at getting milk out, he'll cue less often--if the cues are all due to hunger. But most likely they're not, as Mommal said.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Mama my LO started "snacking" at about that time and it ended up being a combination of things. . . a growth spurt for one, the sucking / comfort reflex for another, and she was becoming an efficient nurser around that time too so we didn't always have the hour-long nursing marathons, either. It freaked me out at first but it all worked out in the end.

As PPs said, if wets and poopy diapers are at a good number you have nothing to fret about - you've just got a chance to catch up on the DVR.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Thanks for the answers! Sometimes I just need a little reassurance that I'm on the right track. I had a bad experience with my first and only bf for 2 weeks so I tend to overanalyze.

Totally understand Mama. It's easy to over-analyze when you've got a new little one, too.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.