Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Production 2nd Time Around?

Default Production 2nd Time Around?

Hi Ladies,

I just had my second DD a week and a half ago. I had expressed my concern in another thread, regarding the fact that I didn't become engorged this time around when my milk came in (for my first it was VERY obvious when my milk came in). I was told this is normal for the 2nd baby. I know DD2 is getting enough milk, as she has plenty of wet and poop diapers, so there is no problem there.

I plan to begin pumping in a week or so, as I will need to return back to work after my maternity leave is over. Here is my question: In your experience, did you produce about the same amount of milk while pumping for your 2nd baby as you did for your 1st? I'm worried that I will not have much extra milk for my pumping sessions, as my breasts don't feel as full this time around.

Does this make sense? I tend to ramble...

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Jen

Default Re: Production 2nd Time Around?

I pumped more for my second initially, then it tapered off to about the same. I think as long as you maintain a steady pumping schedule your body will meet the demands you are making on it. If you didn't have a problem pumping enough for your first baby it isn't likely you'll have a problem this time around.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you! I'm hoping that is the case for me. I pumped plenty the first time around and have been stressing this time...I know that isn't helpful, but that's the kind of person I am!

I appreciate your input!

No problem. If you do find you have issues getting enough milk, come back and post about it. There are lots of options for things you can try to boost your pumping output.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank goodness for this website!

I am not having any trouble pumping the same amount or more this time. I could have maybe pumped the same amount last time, but she wouldn't drink it, so there wasn't any reason to.

You're going to be fine Juniper.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You'll do well - sounds like you are on top of things, which is always better than trying to play catch up later.

I actually had to scale back my pumping w/ baby #2. I now pump only twice a day most days instead of three times.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos