Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Actively Weaning

Default Re: Actively Weaning

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    How do you do what's best for you when it feels wrong for them?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avery.mom View Post
    my Dh always told me 3 years old.. no more.. I said why.. He said he will be bigger than me and that would look weird..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamasim View Post
    All this to say that I hear ya, it is hard, but I take comfort from Dr. Sears who says that, "if you resent it, change it."
    Thanks for this mama.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I have come to the realization that I may be nursing a kindergartener one day.
    Don't even joke about this. Says the woman nursing a 4 1/2 year old who resents the limits I've already set, and is bound and determined to nurse FOR.EVER. I only have one nursling, so I don't know the stress of being pulled in more than one direction and trying to balance the 2, but I do know that after this many years of nursing this much, I am sick of it. But then I almost panick at the thought of being completely done (since she is and will be our only child). Because when we're done, it's forever. But if she had her way, we'd nurse for hours at a stretch all day long. Literally. As it is, I have cut her back to 4-ish 20-30 minute sessions per day (yes, you read that right!) I want to wean her entirely, but she's so emotionally attached to it, I just don't have the heart. I don't know where we go from here. But I'm so scared I'm gonna be one of those crazies nursing an 8 year old. Like seriously, I do worry about that now. 4 1/2 seems way too old to me now. She swears she'll wean when she turns 5. So, as her birthday approaches, I think I'm really gonna start talking to her about stopping and all the things she can do instead, etc. Okay, all of that selfish ranting first just to say I can relate and am watching from my side of the trenches!

Thank you Kelly. FTR, I don't think you'll be one of those crazies.

"Don't toush da mango"

I'm not joking, Kelly. I have that same worry. E can only be limited and distracted so long before she Jist crumples. I know it's not horrible for the child to nurse until 7 or 8, but it is a long time and I don't want her to experience backlash either.

My best friend nursed her son until he was 5 1/2, and as far as I could ever tell, it was an entirely positive experience for him. He still talks about it with fondness. And she was/is a great inspiration for me.

Also - OH MY GOD!!! So, last night, I had Randy put Wyatt to bed with no nursies, because I was just so fed up with him (Wyatt, not Randy). And Wyatt was perfectly happy about it. And tonight, he asked Randy to put him to bed!!! So, we haven't nursed since Monday. I am absolutely 100% convinced we are not done, but WOW! Maybe we really are reaching the home stretch!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

My baby is so little but I am starting to think about this. She nurses so much and so often. And it ramped back up to the point where my boobs get uncomfortable when I am gone from 9-4ish. And I don't want to nurse a 2 yr old more than once or twice a day And I know that is terrible but partly she uses it "against" Daniel in the ongoing struggle for alone-with-mama time...
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Tiff, it's just so hard not to have conflicting feelings about it. I wish it didn't drive me crazy to nurse but I can't help it. And I get really mean too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Also - OH MY GOD!!! So, last night, I had Randy put Wyatt to bed with no nursies, because I was just so fed up with him (Wyatt, not Randy). And Wyatt was perfectly happy about it. And tonight, he asked Randy to put him to bed!!! So, we haven't nursed since Monday. I am absolutely 100% convinced we are not done, but WOW! Maybe we really are reaching the home stretch!
    That's great! My DD didn't nurse yesterday - day 2 of not nursing and today I feel ok with it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I'm glad weaning is moving along, Katie and Teal.

To be clear, on backlash for nursing into school years, I am sure nursing itself is positive, but I do worry about DH. He told her once big girls don't have T anymore and recently said she will be the only child he knows still having T in school. He did not said it in a mean way, and I know we are already past the timeline he envisioned. He does see and and understand her need for it. With her personality, I am glad that I have one way to calm and center her. She is not a snuggly girl outside of nursing, so it is very precious to me. She is generally very sweet while she nurses. I wish it translated to snuggly sweetness to everyone else in the family.

I have to say, DH has not said a thing about when or that we should at all!! In fact, he's been the one to say, "can you nurse her? she seems to need/want it."

"Don't toush da mango"

That's sweet!

My DH doesn't hesitate to suggest nursing, but I know he wants her to need it less.