Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Actively Weaning

Default Re: Actively Weaning

I think I may have to ship DS off and not let him come back until he thinks girls have cooties. He nurses pretty much every morning and if I want him to nap. He just asked to go lay down and nurse because he was tired

I just don't know how to wean him and not DD. I'd love to be done completely but I feel like I owe her more time.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avery.mom View Post
    I struggled with it, more emotionally ( my last baby). But otherwise it felt so wonderful to let him decide for himself. He still askes to nurse but he doesn't when I offer.. We snuggle alot at night now before bed. It was so gradual and smooth.. I feel so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post

I think I may have to ship DS off and not let him come back until he thinks girls have cooties. He nurses pretty much every morning and if I want him to nap. He just asked to go lay down and nurse because he was tired
    You know, this is part of why I don't want to fully wean yet. It makes going to sleep SO EASY.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post

You know, this is part of why I don't want to fully wean yet. It makes going to sleep SO EASY.
    I was really surprised how easy Wade fell alseep after we weaned.. just food for thought.. He would nurse till he slept but when he weaned he now just goes to bed..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

You know how my DD1 dropped her last feeding, the one right before bed? Temper tantrum. She threw a freakin' fit one night, and ended up skipping nursing because she was busy kicking and screaming. She ended up falling asleep with her dad rubbing her back. After that she asked to nurse just a few times more.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my "baby" is 6 mo younger than Tiff's ... not actively weaning but have been thinking that I have no clue how to eventually go about it because #1 weaned while I was pg with #2 (but didn't yet know it)

Although for #1 - we were down to just bedtime (but not nursing to sleep). He really liked doing "flap" and other interactive books that really need 2 hands and are hard to do while latched on. I gave him the choice of more books or "mommy milk" and no books .... and he chose books.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I don't know, mama. You have nursed her for almost three years. Even if you start actively weaning, she will have many years of nursing. Where is she at now as far as need to nurse?
    She'd do it a lot more often if I let her She asks at morning, naptime, bed time and a few random times in between. She mainly likes long nursing sessions and I usually cut her off before she stops them herself. I feel bad since it's not her fault I'm so done, but she has to suffer for it.

Ah if only he actually went to sleep! He says it like that because he knows he's got a 50/50 shot of me doing it. I'm a sucker for the thought of a nap. I bet you if I got out of bed before him he'd stop the morning session. I'm just afraid the cuddles would stop too.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avery.mom View Post
    I was really surprised how easy Wade fell alseep after we weaned.. just food for thought.. He would nurse till he slept but when he weaned he now just goes to bed..
    Ooooh. That does sound tempting.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

It sure does!! If my DD doesn't nurse to sleep it takes forever!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

This is exactly what my dream is. How did you feel about the way it went? And would you have allowed it to go this way if you reached your sort of cutoff point and he wasn't quite ready yet?
    I read Allie's response to this and just wanted to respond myself. Really my cutoff and the reason I started to wean her was reached in gauging my own feelings while nursing. I started to resent it. Lulu nursed all night, then when she woke up, before we left the house, when we got back, to take a nap, after the nap, before dinner, after dinner, before bed. It got. So I started to dial them back a bit. I do feel bad that I can't stick it out and let her decide, but prefer to not be a nasty heifer because I'm nursing her all day.

The pre-nap one is the hardest to let go. She does not nap unless she nurses so the last few weeks have not been fun. Bedtime changed from nursing to sleep and became nursing then sleep or not. So that was the first one to go.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Nasty heifer? Nah. Don't talk bad about yourself and don't feel bad about being a bit touched out, or more than a bit. Toddlers. So demanding!

IMHO, you can push the weaning clock a bit and still have it be a mostly child-led process. I know I did. I actively cut out the feedings that were driving me nuts, and let DD lead the way with the ones that weren't driving me nuts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"