Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Actively Weaning

Default Re: Actively Weaning

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post

You know, this is part of why I don't want to fully wean yet. It makes going to sleep SO EASY.
    It sure does!! If my DD doesn't nurse to sleep it takes forever!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

This is exactly what my dream is. How did you feel about the way it went? And would you have allowed it to go this way if you reached your sort of cutoff point and he wasn't quite ready yet?
    I read Allie's response to this and just wanted to respond myself. Really my cutoff and the reason I started to wean her was reached in gauging my own feelings while nursing. I started to resent it. Lulu nursed all night, then when she woke up, before we left the house, when we got back, to take a nap, after the nap, before dinner, after dinner, before bed. It got. So I started to dial them back a bit. I do feel bad that I can't stick it out and let her decide, but prefer to not be a nasty heifer because I'm nursing her all day.

The pre-nap one is the hardest to let go. She does not nap unless she nurses so the last few weeks have not been fun. Bedtime changed from nursing to sleep and became nursing then sleep or not. So that was the first one to go.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Nasty heifer? Nah. Don't talk bad about yourself and don't feel bad about being a bit touched out, or more than a bit. Toddlers. So demanding!

IMHO, you can push the weaning clock a bit and still have it be a mostly child-led process. I know I did. I actively cut out the feedings that were driving me nuts, and let DD lead the way with the ones that weren't driving me nuts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    She'd do it a lot more often if I let her She asks at morning, naptime, bed time and a few random times in between. She mainly likes long nursing sessions and I usually cut her off before she stops them herself. I feel bad since it's not her fault I'm so done, but she has to suffer for it.
    I think that is how many non tandem mamas feel when they want to wean. I have days where I just want to be done, but I worked so hard to get E to nurse that it hardly seems fair to actively take it away. She nurses about like C, but some nights through the night, and others she sleeps all night.

I totally agree.. I didn't offer to nurse on some of the feedings and they slowly went away.. and the naptime one was my own doing. I was tired and needed it to be gone.. I was okay with the night one for awhile because I was chill that time of day. It was easier loading up my son and nursing him.. but it had a gradual feel to it. But once I saw the signs I didn't offer to him unless he asked..
    But totally agree I hated that feel of dread for some of the nursing sessions like lunch for me. It was easier at that point to just let it be gone.. but he was also 2.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Nasty heifer? Nah. Don't talk bad about yourself and don't feel bad about being a bit touched out, or more than a bit. Toddlers. So demanding!

IMHO, you can push the weaning clock a bit and still have it be a mostly child-led process. I know I did. I actively cut out the feedings that were driving me nuts, and let DD lead the way with the ones that weren't driving me nuts.
    The bolded is what I feel like I'm doing.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

So far today they have both nursed 3 times. My nipples are killing me. If I wasn't so sore all the time I might be able to tough it out longer. I really really want to be done. But then the guilt kicks in.

How do you do what's best for you when it feels wrong for them?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

That sounds like what I've done, as well. We're down to just the before bed one. I think I can keep going with that one for a while, even though I am pretty much over it. It still means a lot to Wyatt. But if he still wants to be nursing when he's four, I think I will need to be the one to pull the plug on it.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

That sounds like what I've done, as well. We're down to just the before bed one. I think I can keep going with that one for a while, even though I am pretty much over it. It still means a lot to Wyatt. But if he still wants to be nursing when he's four, I think I will need to be the one to pull the plug on it.
    my Dh always told me 3 years old.. no more.. I said why.. He said he will be bigger than me and that would look weird..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    So far today they have both nursed 3 times. My nipples are killing me. If I wasn't so sore all the time I might be able to tough it out longer. I really really want to be done. But then the guilt kicks in.

How do you do what's best for you when it feels wrong for them?
    I'm jumping on here because my twins (21 months) didn't ask for nursing before bed for the first time ever tonight. Honestly, I have such mixed emotions about it!

About 3 months ago we night weaned because I couldn't take it anymore. Then we dialed it back to twice a day for the same reason. Then a few weeks ago I cut out the morning session because it was starting to drive me nuts too. So I was doing the don't ask, don't refuse for the last feeding (though I actively cut out the other ones).... and then tonight no asking for it. Which was great, on one hand, because I am ready to be done (they tend to have lazy latches these days, they also tend to fight with one another - poking, kicking, generally irritating each other because honestly, there's just not enough space for everyone to be comfortable, and I never get to have one on one snuggles because neither will allow the other to nurse without joining in). But... I also cried and still feel like crying because the twins are probably going to be my only babies....

All this to say that I hear ya, it is hard, but I take comfort from Dr. Sears who says that, "if you resent it, change it."