Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Paci???

Default Paci???

When can I introduce a pacifier and what brand do you recommend??

Thanks
    Mom to 17 year old Andre' and for Axil scheduled c-section on 6/2/11 hoping to for the 1st time.

Default Re: Paci???

I thnk it's best to wait until nursing is well established and baby clearly has a good latch consistently. My LC with my last baby recommended the "gumdrop" brand pacifer so that is what I've used since. It goes wider at the base rather than narrow like most other pacifiers.
    Mama bean to E-bean (7), A-bean (4), C-bean (16 months) and baby bean (3-28-11). We are successfully for the first time!!!

Thanks
    Mom to 17 year old Andre' and for Axil scheduled c-section on 6/2/11 hoping to for the 1st time.

I think most recommendations are to delay introducing the paci until 3-4 weeks, or longer if nursing isn't going well. In the vulnerable early period while your baby is building your milk supply, you want him to get all his sucking needs met at the breast.

Regarding pacis- you may have to try several different brands to find one your kid likes. And don't be too shocked if he doesn't like any of them. Not all kids have a love for the paci- neither of my kids had more than a passing interest in them, no matter what brand I tried,
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    And don't be too shocked if he doesn't like any of them. Not all kids have a love for the paci- neither of my kids had more than a passing interest in them, no matter what brand I tried,
    Don't be surprised either if your LO likes the paci at first, and then decides not to like it anymore! The paci worked great for my DS at first, but then he must have gotten smarter, because it just makes him angry now!

We have the gumdrop ones though, and liked those.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

my daughter doesnt understant paci's xD she gums around it ant then spits it out. tho that may just be because the teething :P
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Hey Mama! We tried the first time when our DD was about 3 weeks old and that was a mistake. It messed with her latch and I spent 3-4 days getting it right again.

*Some* Mamas are able to give them right away, no issues - but that wasn't my personal experience.

As far as which ones to choose, I don't have a particular brand to recommend. We just used the classic Gerber ones. My daughter liked the ones with the round nipple, not the orthodontics. When you're in the store you want to check 'em out, pull on them, make sure they don't come apart or separate easily, and you want to make sure they're dishwasher safe.

Hope this helps!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.