Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The look on a doctors face...

Default The look on a doctors face...

So I'm a NICU nurse and I work in a pretty big childrens hospital. Yesterday when I was at work one of the pediatric surgery attending physicians came into my patients room. He was talking to me kind of rudely in reference to one of my patients, and I was a little annoyed. He went to sit down in a chair in the room, which had my totebag in it.
    He went to move the bag, and looking down into it he said "Is that what I think it is?"
    Me: "What do you mean?"
    Dr: "Is that a breastpump in your bag?"
    Me: " No, it's a pumping kit." (Medela Steam bag with kit inside)
    Dr: "Since when did you have a baby?" (He sees me frequently and I've worked here a long time)
    Me: "2 years ago"
    Dr: <Blank face>
    Me, firmly: "I'm still breastfeeding."
    Dr: <BIG STARE for over 1 minute>

He didn't say anything to me and just walked out after finishing up in the room but it was so obvious that he was just.... LOL!!!!!

On an exciting note ladies.... I take my boards for IBCLC in just over a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by @llli*wreckgoddess; June 2nd, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Default Re: The look on a doctors face...

How doctors in a CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL can still be so clueless in this day and age....

You rock Momma!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I totally pictured the two of you just staring at each other.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

What an opportunity! An educational experience for that doc, for sure.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good for you! Its soo important to let people know that "extended" nursing isn`t really extended and its not actually a big deal.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

! Exciting news and good luck on the exam!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yeah, I'm still nursing but haven't had the need to pump since 15 months. Whatever works for you, though.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Good for you! I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when that conversation took place!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I can kind of see why he would be surprised. Two years of pumping is very rare, even for mamas that nurse that long.
    IMO you are either a or slightly demented for pumping so long. I ditched that baby as soon as I could. I breastfeeding but I hate pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    ! Exciting news and good luck on the exam!
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

It's not that I just love pumping, but on the days I work I am up at 4 am and leave house 4:45. Don't get home til 9 pm. I have a long commute and work 13+ shifts. So I have to pump or I get into a lot of discomfort. My son nurses very frequently on the days I am home.. sometimes 6-8 times. I don't want to prematurely force him into cutting back, I want that to be his decision. He deals with alot of "missing momma" and I can't take that comfort away from him. I don't pump as much as I used to either.

It's not like I have the oppurtunity to feed my baby at 8am before going off to work and then get to nurse again at 5 or so only 8 hours later like a lot of working moms who ditch the pump. I wish I could! Or even just being part time... If i worked part time I would ditch it...
    Last edited by @llli*wreckgoddess; June 4th, 2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09