Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think we're going to end up weaned

Unhappy I think we're going to end up weaned

By the time he turned one year, DS had dramatically cut back his nursing. He stopped nursing when we got home from daycare, and in the morning when he woke up. He's been only nursing to sleep at night and during the night. When he's awake, he's not interested. He's 17 months now, so this has been going on for about five months.

Starting on Sunday, he developed a cold and a high fever. It's been more than 48 hours, and when the ibuprofen wears off, the fever spikes back up to 103. Doc seems unconcerned.

DS has not nursed in more than 48 hours. I know that he's sick, but he's completely uninterested. If I offer, he just gags and turns away. He won't nurse even when he's mostly asleep. He's only really acting sick when the advil wears off and the fever goes up. When the fever is under control, he's eating and playing like normal. But not nursing.

He's had a million colds, at least one a month since he started daycare. In the past, even when he's been stuffy, he'll nurse and breathe through his mouth, or let us suction his nose so he can nurse. He has wanted to nurse for comfort. He nursed all through having norovirus, even when he threw up right after.

I'm really at a loss right now. He adamantly does not want to nurse, even when it seems like he's breathing through his nose fine. I'm reluctantly pumping to ease my discomfort.

Do you think this is the end? I wanted to let him stop nursing at his own pace, but I didn't think it would be like this. It's just that I had so little milk anyway (he was nursing as little as once in 24 hours, at most 4 times), I don't know if we can recover from going a week without nursing. The fact that he shows absolutely no desire to nurse is what has shaken me. When he's been sick in the past, even if he's had trouble nursing and breathing, he'll still try, and snuggle up with his head against my breast. He wants nothing to do with nursing now.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Default Re: I think we're going to end up weaned

I don't know Momma. Maybe he'll nurse again when he's feeling better.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Oh, mama! That would make me sad too! Any chance he has a bad sore throat or hand, foot, and mouth? Both of those could cause a bad nursing strike, but neither is permanent. Of course, I don't hope he is really sick, but I DO hope he will come back to the breast, 17 months is early to wean (but not unheard of, of course). Sniffle.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

No weaning doesn't happen like that, you are having an annoying toddler nursing strike. Mine did that every time he got sick, it sucks.

Just keep offering and he will come back to the breast you just watch and see. Hang in there!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Also adding my toddler would go a full 2 weeks while sick and not nurse. Then he would keep going back go it when better.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I hope it is just a strike. It would be sad to have to end your bf'ing relationship so quickly.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

So . . . he nursed! Is it ridiculous that I'm so excited and happy?

Still very stuffy and not feeling great, but he actually let me suction his nose without much of a fight and was able to breathe and nurse. I propped us up on a pillow and watched a movie while he nursed and drifted in and out of sleep. I'm so glad!
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...