Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTC Candida Treatment

Default OTC Candida Treatment

I am suspicious that I may have a low-grade thrush infection even though my DD is showing no evidence of it. The reason I suspect this is because even though I "think" I have fixed her latch, I continue to have severely cracked nipples that are painful, they are red although not flaky at all, and often have a burning sensation in them even after I am done feeding that lasts most of the day. I have had latch issues so that complicates things a bit as I don't know how much of my symptomatology is due to ongoing latch issues.

Has anyone had any success with OTC treatments for thrush? I am already using APNO that has miconazole in it but am wondering if I should add anything else like grapefruit seed extract topically or orally or gentian violet. I figured I would try this first before going to the big guns. Thanks

Kristen

Default Re: OTC Candida Treatment

I had success with the gentian violet, for me it worked better than the meds the doctor prescribed. I'm guessing you've seen Dr. Newman's Candida Protocol, but just in case here's a link to it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

just out of curiosity. i my LO has thrush. he's had it for almost a month now...in the beginning my midwife said it was a small case of it and had me on a solution of water and vinegar. after a couple of weeks of not going away she had me do oregano oil and olive oil.

so now my question is...i'm not really having pain when nursing but occasionally my nipples will burn and sometimes i'll feel a stabbing pain in my breast. it's not too much and again it occasionally comes and goes. i'm right now sticking with the olive oil/oregano oil solution.

is the APNO somethin i can get OTC? and because i'm not really having intense nipple pain do i need to use it? the gentian violet...this is something you can get where? any pharmacy?
    i read dr.newmans candida protocol...is it a hassle to prepare?
    i'm just a little iffy on the whole "purple dye" on everything....

just weighing out my options natural med vs antibiotics from a md.

It's possible the thrush has gotten up in your milk ducts, that happened to me too. It was kind of a sore achy feeling deep inside. The gv can be messy, but it worked for me and once I figured out that I only had to use a tiny bit it wasn't as bad. I got mine OTC at wal mart.

On the other hand, if it's not too bad of a problem you might be able tog et away with taking probiotics and/or giving baby probiotics by applying it to your nipples. I know some moms have success with that method as well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I used antifungal (like lotramin) ointment and put probiotic powder on my nipples and in my baby's mouth too. APNO has an antifungal ingredient, so if you get that, you don't need the antifungal ointment as well. I agree that I actually had better luck with OTC treatments than with prescriptions in treating thrush. The lotramin ointment or APNO does not need to be washed off before nursing again, as long as it's absorbed (you might want to wipe off visible blobs of ointment).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Which probiotic did you use? I want to be sure to get one that truly has a good amount of live active cultures

I used infant probiotic powder, like this. It should be in the refrigerator section at a natural foods/health food store, and you store it in the fridge at home. You can also get just plain acidophilus capsules, and break them open - that's often cheaper, but just as effective IME.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

is the APNO something a dr needs to prescribe? or is this OTC as well?

For more information on APNO, see these websites: http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp and http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Your doctor can write the prescription and then your pharmacy will compound it.

You can call me JoMo!

I had the exact same thing happen to me! After 2 rounds of nystatin orally and a cream, then with APNO I finally tried grapefruit seed extract and that has started to clear it up. I used a solution of GF seed extract in purified water to swab my nipple area and then let it dry before and after feedings. I also applied it about every hour and then let it air dry. I didn't use the ANPO because it holds in to much moisture on the skin and will allow the yeast to continue to grow. Now that the pain has been gone for a week I have been using the ANPO only during the night to help heal the cracks in my nipples and it seems to really be working. After a 5 week war with Candida this is just what has worked for me. I hope that everything works our for you!!