Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop Questions

Default Poop Questions

DS is 3 months old and his poop is looking questionable lately. I know this question has been asked a million times, but I feel like there are too many answers and I can't figure out the answer to my situation by myself!

He was on Amoxicillin, which was giving him diarrhea. The last dose of it was a little over a week ago. Since then, his poop has not returned back to normal. It's still very watery and darker than what it should be. Yesterday, it started to look a little green and foamy sometimes. He used to be a twice-a-week pooper, and now he is going about 6 times a day.

I have been giving him probiotics for almost a week.

I think he might be starting to teethe, because he is drooling a lot.

I don't think it's from OALD, just based on how he acts when he eats and how I react to my pump.

For almost 2 weeks, I have eliminated wheat, corn, soy, dairy, and eggs from my diet.

He seems perfectly content, both while eating and not.

Any thoughts on why his poops aren't normal yet?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Poop Questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    Yesterday, it started to look a little green and foamy sometimes. He used to be a twice-a-week pooper, and now he is going about 6 times a day.
    Green foamy poo is a hallmark of oversupply, and a dramatic increase in poo means he has plenty to eat-- mama, it sounds like you've got lots of milk!

Have a look at this page, including the end which details why poo becomes green and foamy due to foremilk/hindmilk imbalanceversupply and not primary lactose intolerance.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tolerance.html

Foremilk & hindmilk:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html

Have a think and decide what you want to do. If it were me, I'd try introducing foods back into my diet and try block-feeding until the milk switch turns down. My DD had green foamy poo for a while and she's fine. If it's oversupply on its own, it will correct itself even with no conscious intervention because milk is a supply-demand situation. Your body is now figuring out that you're not feeding a ravenous underweight singleton or twins. But block feeding can make you both more comfortable more quickly. HTH
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Green foamy poo is a hallmark of oversupply, and a dramatic increase in poo means he has plenty to eat-- mama, it sounds like you've got lots of milk!

Have a think and decide what you want to do. If it were me, I'd try introducing foods back into my diet and try block-feeding until the milk switch turns down. My DD had green foamy poo for a while and she's fine. If it's oversupply on its own, it will correct itself even with no conscious intervention because milk is a supply-demand situation. Your body is now figuring out that you're not feeding a ravenous underweight singleton or twins. But block feeding can make you both more comfortable more quickly. HTH
    A little more background...

I would be SHOCKED (and ectastic) if I have oversupply, because all along, I have been barely making enough milk. I was having to supplement for the first 2 months with formula, and even now, I struggle pumping enough at work to give him enough for daycare the next day. I fully understand that the pump doesn't get as much milk out as a baby, but I'm only pumping 2-3 ounces each time. I don't see how it could be oversupply.

As for the food eliminations, it's an experiment because he had runny nose/conjestion issues for a while. I've cut those foods out of my diet for two weeks, and I am now slowly introducting them back into my diet to see if the runny nose comes back (corn is today! ).
    ~ Megan

I would be SHOCKED (and ectastic) if I have oversupply, because all along, I have been barely making enough milk. I was having to supplement for the first 2 months with formula, and even now, I struggle pumping enough at work to give him enough for daycare the next day. I fully understand that the pump doesn't get as much milk out as a baby, but I'm only pumping 2-3 ounces each time. I don't see how it could be oversupply.

As for the food eliminations, it's an experiment because he had runny nose/conjestion issues for a while. I've cut those foods out of my diet for two weeks, and I am now slowly introducting them back into my diet to see if the runny nose comes back (corn is today! ).
    Hey, 2-3oz is a lot of supply. You get very little or no milk when you pump. The amount of milk that you can pump is not an accurate measure of your milk supply.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply
    and
    Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html and that link has tips on what to do if you don't pump enough

But the real supply indicator is the nappy output. Do you keep a nappy chart? 6weeks old+
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html Your son makes a lot of stool so if he has enough wets then he's alright

Probably the real issue here is the lack of experience at your DCP with the amount of ebm needed, which is totally different from artificial milk.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

print & bring to DCP along with the nappy chart so you're on the same page, and indicate you want DCP to make a tick for each wet or soiled nappy. I just charted a simple:
    date: wet: soil:
    Katharine

It's 2-3 oz without feeding him first. I've never pumped right after feeding. I don't think I have a low supply anymore, but I think I do have a "just right" supply.

His wet diaper count is fine. I don't keep exact track, but it falls above the minimum, for sure. The daycare does keep track of wet and dirty diapers already, which is really nice.

They give him 3 oz bottles at daycare, which looks to be fine, according to that website. We had been trying 2.5 oz bottles, but he was acting too hungry/fussy afterwards. I guess I could check with them to see if they think he'd be cool with reducing it a little bit.

I know that he's getting enough food, so I'm not worried about that. I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong to make his poop be funny, or if there is something else going on with his body that I haven't thought of.
    ~ Megan

So I have been pondering this oversupply idea, and now I am really confused. After I fed DS this morning, I pumped immediately after. I got 2 oz and the milk was still spraying, but I had to stop so I could take a shower. That is a sign of oversupply - right? So how come I have so much trouble pumping when I am at work?? Is it just that I am not letting down well to the pump?
    ~ Megan

Def look into 2oz bottles. Spraying can be a sign of OALD.
    Katharine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Spraying can be a sign of OALD.
    It's a sign of OALD when the pump is on or when the pump is off?
    ~ Megan

So I have been pondering this oversupply idea, and now I am really confused. After I fed DS this morning, I pumped immediately after. I got 2 oz and the milk was still spraying, but I had to stop so I could take a shower. That is a sign of oversupply - right? So how come I have so much trouble pumping when I am at work?? Is it just that I am not letting down well to the pump?

That may just be a comfort issue then. I do really well with the pump, but only when I am at home. I had to pump at a friends house the other day because baby was with my in laws so DH and I could have dinner out, and I wasn't able to pump nearly as much as I can at home.