Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to wean off the pump while BF

Default How to wean off the pump while BF

Sorry, i'm posting again bc i had no luck on the other section.

Hello ladies, I've been bf my LO but ever since he was 3 months old i've been pumping (after each feeding) to increase supply while using the SNS to supplement at the breast. So, recently i came about a lot of donated milk to last us till he is one year. Because of this, i'm thinking to stop pumping to increase supply and let him just go at the breast and if he still needs more to use either the SNS or a sippy cup (which would you use if you didnt want to wean off the breast?)

So, my pumping schedule is as follows:
    9:30am
    11:30am (nurse at 11am for napping for at least 1 hour and a half)
    1:30pm
    3:30pm
    5:30pm (nurse at 5pm for napping for at least 1 hour and a half)
    7:30pm
    9:30pm (last pump)

So which pumping sessions should i cut first? When should i cut the next pumping session and which one? I'm thinking that i want my breast to be fullest when he wakes up from his naps? I'm a first time mom so new to pump weaning
    Last edited by @llli*joesmama; May 31st, 2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

Default Re: How to wean off the pump while BF

How old is your baby now?

It would make sense to cut your during-nap pumping, since you just nursed and you want baby to try to nurse again after he wakes up. But cutting the rest would depend on how old baby is and how often he is nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    How old is your baby now?
    10 months and a week

I'd say you're safe to start cutting pumping sessions if you feel like your supply is in a good place. If it seems to drop too much you could always add them back in to give it a boost. I'd start with the nap time pumpings and go from there. I'd also say the SNS would be better as far as keeping baby nursing, but I've heard using it is kind of a hassle. You could try it and see how you do with it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would drop the nap pumpings, and slowly, and then the other pumpings in order of convenience (drop the least convenient ones first), one at a time. For me, the morning pumpings are always the most productive - if that's true for you, you may want to hold on to those ones for longer.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

first cut off the ones done after nursing. one at a time with a day or so inbetween. then take out one pump during nap time session at a time.

also use the sns. it will stimulate you more than a pump would
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

i've been using the sns since he was 3 months, it's not easy but eventually one gets used to it. So i'm getting different feedback... i'm a little confused.

Basically, I think it's up to you, mama. My basic method of pump weaning is to cut the most annoying and burdensome pumpings first. And at this point, whether to use the SNS is up to you. The main thing is to not cut pumpings so fast that you get a clogged duct, etc.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

If the SNS works for you then keep using it. It will definitely help keeping your supply up.

You get different feedback because every woman is different and has different experiences. Do what works best for you. At this age (10 mos) you have some leeway, in that your supply is relatively well established and will respond to your needs (including having milk there when it's needed and not having it there when it's not). Also you are still at a point that if you notice your supply dropping you can add in pumping or nursing sessions to get it back up.
    --Anonymous

Thanks ladies. Your posts really helped