Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to work soon, how do i build up enough milk for storage?

Question Going back to work soon, how do i build up enough milk for storage?

Okay - I have been planning on going back to work the 2nd week of June since I found out the due date of my LO. I switched companies about a month and a half before my LO was due. Seeings how I have no been with my company for a year yet i did not qualify for FMLA. So, when talking to a HR rep. I was informed that I am only allowed 6 weeks off after my baby was born unless the doctor saw a medical need for me to be out longer. my 6 weeks is almost up, and I wanted to take a few more weeks. I don't A) know if the company can do that and B) just got my pump and dont know if i'm going to have enough milk stored by the time going back comes around.

I recently have had complications with my LO's eatting habits and was having to supplament. So 2 questions. 1) how do i go about getting enough to store for the baby sitter while i am at work?? and 2) is there anyway that anyone knows of to give me a few more weeks before returning to work??

Default Re: Going back to work soon, how do i build up enough milk for storage?

Can you ask your doctor/midwife to write you a doctor's note saying that you can't return to work right now? You're working on building your supply and being away from your baby is going to be detrimental to that.

Also, have you talked to your company about taking unpaid time off? What about vacation? Do you have any vacation time available?

You only need to have enough for the first day and then a little for insurance. So, pump once a day and start freezing that milk. If you are going to be gone for about 9 hours, you'll need around 12 ounces, at the most - probably. Then when you are at work, you will pump and then use that milk for the next day, freezing the last day of the weeks milk. That's what I do anyway. Some people can keep their Friday milk and use it Monday without freezing, but that's not an option for me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree with PP. But for me, I liked having a weeks worth of milk saved up. That way if I had a day that I didn't pump as much or that LO drank a lot more than usual, I didn't stress out. But really you only need a days worth.

the week before i went back to work (unfortunately when DD was only 4 weeks old) i pumped onc ein the morning to build up a freezer stash. i ended up with an oversupply, so everything i pump at work gets donated to other babies and my LO eats my morning/late night pumpings at home that i have to do for comfort.
    i keep about 1 weeks worth in the freezer as an emergency supply (and rotate this periodically so it;s not more than a month old) and the rest is fed fresh or donated.
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

hi,

when i had my first son i had just started a new job when i got pregnant. apparently you only get 12 wk if you have been there over a year. I was unaware of this until i was on leave and hr said i was due back after 6 wks.

I was so upset. I spoke withe the person in charge of my department and he had to say it was ok with him for me to stay home the 12 wks. only 6 were paid, unless i used time for vacacation. He's very good about woman and babies, i have to say.

hope that helps. I am not sure if it will work but it is worth asking, it worked for me to speak up.

Some doctors will give you notes. It is worth a try.

I never had more than a day's worth stored. I had oversupply but responded really badly to pumps. Luckily for me my baby never ate more than 1oz per hour I was gone. The first day I left her with 12oz. And I pumped 12oz that day. And the next day I took those bottles and put nipples on them and took clean ones and pumped into them. I think the most I ever had in the freezer was 9oz. And we did fine. It worked for us though I know a lot of women would go out of their mind with worry.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thank you all for everything. I talked to my doctor, and he just didn't release me for work until I wanted to go back. So that worry is OVER!! But with pumping, I finally have 3 oz. in the freezer, but truth be told I am afraid to pump and freeze because just about everytime I do pump LO ends up needing what was pumped.... I guess I don't know what time I should be pumping so I am not taking from her. This is my first time breast feeding, and its a whole new ball game.

if you pump right after the baby first nurses in the am it will be good. The earlier the better

Sounds good, We will try it... hopefully all goes well

Oh, I like to eat oatmeal every morning too, it may help with increasing milk supply so it cant hurt.

I started pumping once in the morning and eating a bowl of oatmeal every day and letting my son nurse whenever. I have notice after a couple of weeks there is a significant increase in the amount I get. It varies but overall anywhere from 1-4oz, usually 2-3.

Lots of times my son wants to nurse right after I pump and it is fine, there's still plenty of milk even if it is less than it would have been.

I tell everyone to get the book the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding too, it rocks! ( the 8th edition)
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; May 30th, 2011 at 01:54 PM.