Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting solids question.

Default starting solids question.

Lets see if I can word this so it sounds right. I am want to know when you guys started solids and what they were. The advice on that is the most confusing that I have ever read. I mean it can be bad like you will read start it at four months then some say start it at 6 months and what is with drs if you kid spits up add rice cereal if I had a nickel for every time I have heard that I would be rich. And drs will also tell you to add rice to up a babys calorie intake.

Default Re: starting solids question.

6 months. But not very much and not every day. I think by 7-8 months I was offering at least once a day. We didn't do cereal. We did whole foods. So DD's first foods were Bananas, broccoli, stuff like that. She loved rice cakes though.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Here is a link that should answer your questions

http://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

We didn't start solids until 6 months and we did it very slowly (putting no pressure on ourselves or our little one).
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

If you scroll down a little, there's a whole forum devoted to Introducing Solids. There are some great resources in there!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

I think you nailed it- the advice on solids is all over the map. Some docs say 4 months, some say 6, others say that solids are optional until around a year. And the rice cereal thing... Don't get me started! I don't know if thickened feeds help with relfux or not, but rice cereal certainly isn't a great choice if you want to promote weight gain. It's just starch with fome additional vitamins and minerals- not the healthiest stuff, nor the most calorie rich. However, rice cereal can be a good choice for babies who are anemic, since it's an easy way to get them to consume some additional iron.

Definitely check out the solids forum. There's great info there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"