Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and Pumping for supply increase but wanting to wean off the pump

Default BF and Pumping for supply increase but wanting to wean off the pump

Hello ladies, I've been bf my LO but ever since he was 3 months old i've been pumping (after each feeding) to increase supply while using the SNS to supplement at the breast. So, recently i came about a lot of donated milk to last us till he is one year. Because of this, i'm thinking to stop pumping to increase supply and let him just go at the breast and if he still needs more to use either the SNS or a sippy cup (which would you use if you didnt want to wean off the breast?)

So, my pumping schedule is as follows:
    9:30am
    11:30am (nurse at 11am for napping for at least 1 hour and a half)
    1:30pm
    3:30pm
    5:30pm (nurse at 5pm for napping for at least 1 hour and a half)
    7:30pm
    9:30pm (last pump)

So which pumping sessions should i cut first? When should i cut the next pumping session and which one? I'm thinking that i want my breast to be fullest when he wakes up from his naps? I'm a first time mom so new to pump weaning

Default Re: BF and Pumping for supply increase but wanting to wean off the pump

Not sure how other mamas do this but I just get lazy with whatever session(s) I like least and start pumping later and later until it combines with the next feeding session/ pump. I would guess since you will initially be very full maybe the easiest ones to drop would be the ones followed by really good nursing (like after a nap), that way you can be assured the breast will be fully emptied and your supply wont dip as much.

I also have found the before bed to be the hardest ones to drop because you wake up overfull and all wet if you don't decrease the amount pumped gradually.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by @llli*carmen.arizona; May 31st, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!