Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: changes in the quantity of milk drunk per feeding session ?!

Default changes in the quantity of milk drunk per feeding session ?!

hi !
    my lo is nearly 3 months. shes in her 12weeks. so pretty soon i ll be in this section !!
    im wondering if the quantity that a baby drinks change when he gets older.
    i mean,i used to work in a nursery and there, I used to feed 8-10 months old babies 8 oz of milk per feeding. It was formula. I know its different.
    but is it what a 8-10 months old breastfed baby drinks ? or is it still the 4 oz(around that) quantity ? maybe the quality of milk change instead, to match the needs of the growing baby ?
    just wondering, because in this case, we dont need to have big bottles if we want to bottle fed our breastfed little ones ???
    see ya !

Default Re: changes in the quantity of milk drunk per feeding session ?!

Your breast milk will change to meet the nutritional needs of your baby as they grow. Isn't that cool?! Just one of the hundreds of reasons breast milk is superior to formula. IME, babies will drink slightly more as they get older, however my DS1 never drank more than 4oz at a time, so you're right no real need to buy bigger bottles. It wasntclear from your post though, are you still planning on nursing or just pumping? I encourage you to continue to nurse your. Baby and if you have to be away, try your milk in small but frequent feedings according to hunger cues.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with Jenna. It's amazing, but the quantity of milk consumed doesn't change as much for a breastfed baby as it does for a formula-fed one. Your baby is unlikely to ever need or want an 8 oz bottle.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I learned the same thing when I came here!
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

hi !
    OMG thats great !! I learnt so much since I was pregnant, and now that Im breastfeeding.
    The nature is just so amazing !!
    anyway thanks for your reply.
    sorry yes I wasnt clear ! I will go back to work part time in December when she ll be 9 months old. 2 full days a week, so I will be gone from 7am till 7pm... and I will pump.
    I think Ive got an other option. I could work at lunch time (11 til 3), so I will be gone 10 til 4. i dont know what is the best.... good for my supply, but I will miss all her lunch period !! and at that time I dont think its great as she ll be trying to eat solids...
    Because I work in a nursery, I know how chalenging it can be sometimes, and I want to be there most of the time to help her...

When I was pregnant, I bought 2 little bottles and 2 bigger ones !! I just didnt know that the milk quantity will be the same !!!

bye !! thanks again !