Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do your LOs manage things like rice or beans or peas??

Default How do your LOs manage things like rice or beans or peas??

Hi,

A little background: DD is 13 months old, still bf'ing like a champ every 2 hours 'round the clock, and milk/soy/maybe wheat intolerant.

I started her on BLS when she was 7 months old, but we've gone very slowly due to her food "allergies". Then she got C. Diff at 10 months old due to a round of Amoxicillin for an ear infection. It took two months to clear up. We basically stopped all solids for 6 weeks during that time. We then had to go to purees while her gut was healing.

She's finally better, and was actually constipated this week I've never been so happy about constipation in my life! I've added some raw chunks of fruit back in like mango and canteloupe, but those don't seem to "help". Actually, anything with more visible fiber (butternut squash, mango etc) seems to be firming up her stools *too* much.

So, my question relates to cooked things like beans, rice and peas. Do your LOs eat them no problem? Is she going to choke on a bean if I give her one? Or on brown rice? Or a pea? I want to add some different types of fiber to her diet.

Default Re: How do your LOs manage things like rice or beans or peas??

I was giving those much younger than 13 months, so personally I wouldn't worry at all. If they are cooked and can be mashed easily in your fingers, it should be fine

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

You can squish the beans and peas a little with your finger if you are feeling a bit nervous. It also makes it easier for them to pick up.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleiandjmomma View Post
    You can squish the beans and peas a little with your finger if you are feeling a bit nervous. It also makes it easier for them to pick up.
    my 12 month old likes to squash them herself. I put them on her tray and she methodically squishes them before either eating them or throwing them on the floor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

about the beans, those have been a favorite fir my girls since she was about 8 months. And she really likes sticky coconut rice, because she can kind of pick up wads of it.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

We haven't tried beans yet, but my DS loves rice and peas. I started squishing the peas for him so they wouldn't roll away, but now he does a great job--and LOVES them! Rice is not as easy for my DS (he's 11 months old), so he tends to make a huge mess while eating it. There's often rice all over him, the floor, etc., but he does really like it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I really appreciate it

I'm getting a lot of pushback (furious head shaking) on pureed peaches, and anything with spice (cinnamon) in it, so I can't wait to give her some squished mushy beans and let her go to town. The canteloupe we had this morning was sweet, but a little hard, and boy, she didn't want to swallow that. She chewed it and spit it all out

Today was the first day she didn't cry when she was pooping, but it was still the same consistency - grown up poop!!! I think our exclusively breastfed poop days are officially over

When it comes to constipation, I swear by pears (raw or cooked), sweet potatoes and oatmeal...alone or all together. Our guy is only 9 months but if you smash a bean with your fingers, he chomps it down like a champ. He doesn't like peas but he'll eat them if we smash'em and smile when we offer it (I just wish he liked them more and didn't give that face when he tastes them).

I am glad your kiddo is on the mend. Pears, sweet tatters and oatmeal are high fiber and good to get things moving.

We're mexican and beans was the first thing we gave him We do refried beans. We make sure we dont use much oil, little onion and leave out the jalapeno, though we have mistakingly fed him with some jalapeno from the "adult" badge and and he devours them. One thing we use in my culture for constipation is papaya. It's a fruit so it's sweet and can be pureed. Be ready for a loser stool the next day
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

Oh yeah, papaya. Great for DDs constipation too. IME she loves it when we freeze some chunks .

And beans have also helped her a lot .
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!