Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Exclusively Breastfeed. Is it possible?

Default Re: Trying to Exclusively Breastfeed. Is it possible?

@andrea: My nipples were cracked and bleeding for the first week and a half, but they have since healed up and are fine now.

@intine: I don't mind answering at all. The doctors think that my gestational hypertension limited the blood flow to my placenta and prevented it from fully functioning.

@dara: She is having 1-2 dirty diapers per day, and 7+ wet diapers.

I was just wondering if it was due to something that would continue to affect her.

DD was born with health issues and was in the hospital for three weeks. She left there 5 lbs 5 oz. They had us add formula to the breastmilk a few times in the hospital, but after we left there was never any mention of supplementing. I know this isn't the same thing, but she did gain slowly after that..she didn't go through a chubby phase or anything. I don't see why they wouldn't have told you to get help with the latch.. What is her height?

I'm pretty sure you can make the 24 calorie by adding formula to the breastmilk.

So my advice is look at the Kellymom link to weaning off the supplements. because EVERYTHING you are describing sounds normal EXCEPT the part where she only eats every 3-4 hours. She would be eating MORE often if she was exclusively breastfed. The supplements take longer to digest and are causing her to ask to eat less often and THAT IS affecting your supply. Because you only sending the signal to make milk every 3-4 hours instead of every 1-3. I would begin pumping at the 2hour mark. That way you are giving your body MORE signals to make milk while weaning off the supplements and this could also allow you to begin supplementing with your own milk.
    Your child IS gaining. And that is the important thing. But in this culture people get nervous about small babies. Don't let that worry you. I know that in certain cultures (like Indian and asian Cultures) small babies are NORMAL and a child that small wouldn't be cause for alarm. I have seen perfectly healthy 4& 5lb babies. But I don't expect your doctors to get off your back until your child weighs more than 9lbs. So....some months yet. Don't worry. You CAN do this. Formula companies relationships with Pediatricians is very insidious. They believe the reps. And it's an easy way to get babies to gain weight. Like eating at McDonalds. It's junkfood. But they don't really understand they way breastfeeding works when they make those recomendations and they ruin breastfeeding relations often because the more you supplement, the less milk you make. Stay focused mama. You CAN DO IT!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    So my advice is look at the Kellymom link to weaning off the supplements. because EVERYTHING you are describing sounds normal EXCEPT the part where she only eats every 3-4 hours. She would be eating MORE often if she was exclusively breastfed. The supplements take longer to digest and are causing her to ask to eat less often and THAT IS affecting your supply. Because you only sending the signal to make milk every 3-4 hours instead of every 1-3. I would begin pumping at the 2hour mark. That way you are giving your body MORE signals to make milk while weaning off the supplements and this could also allow you to begin supplementing with your own milk.
    Your child IS gaining. And that is the important thing. But in this culture people get nervous about small babies. Don't let that worry you. I know that in certain cultures (like Indian and asian Cultures) small babies are NORMAL and a child that small wouldn't be cause for alarm. I have seen perfectly healthy 4& 5lb babies. But I don't expect your doctors to get off your back until your child weighs more than 9lbs. So....some months yet. Don't worry. You CAN do this. Formula companies relationships with Pediatricians is very insidious. They believe the reps. And it's an easy way to get babies to gain weight. Like eating at McDonalds. It's junkfood. But they don't really understand they way breastfeeding works when they make those recomendations and they ruin breastfeeding relations often because the more

you supplement, the less milk you make. Stay focused mama. You CAN DO IT!

read the weaning off supplements link, your baby is having enough wet and poopy diapers so you do not need to rely on the formula your body can do this!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with the PPs. YOU CAN DO THIS!

I suggest setting up an appointment with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Not one who works at your hospital- I can't believe the advice you got!!! It is normal for babies to lose weight in the first few days after birth, and it is normal not to have milk until 2-5 days postpartum. Colostrum is almost always enough to sustain the baby during that time period.

Are you pumping right now? Sorry if I miss the answer to that question...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks to everyone for the support! I feel a lot better now. The links are great and I will start following their steps immediately.
    I can't tell you how much stress I've been through about my breastfeeding. I pray that this advice and some persistence will allow my baby girl to get back on track soon.

There is just one more question I have for everyone. My daughter tends to nurse for 15 minutes or more after she has drained the breast. I was told by her pediatrician - before he recommended I mostly bottlefeed - not to allow her to do this because I wasn't giving my breasts a chance to refill. He said I shouldn't let her feed for any longer than 10 minutes per side. Is this good advice?

@mommal: Yes, I am pumping. Thanks for your encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kimberlyh View Post

There is just one more question I have for everyone. My daughter tends to nurse for 15 minutes or more after she has drained the breast. I was told by her pediatrician - before he recommended I mostly bottlefeed - not to allow her to do this because I wasn't giving my breasts a chance to refill. He said I shouldn't let her feed for any longer than 10 minutes per side. Is this good advice?
    No, that's terrible advice! The more stimulation your breasts receive, either from pump or from the baby, the more milk you will make. Limiting the baby's time at the breast only limits production. You don't need to wait for the breast to refill, because milk is always being made. The faster the breast is drained, the faster the milk is replaced. It's like a bathtub where the tap is always running- and the faster you let water down the drain, the more water flows in from the tap. Make sense?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kimberlyh View Post
    My daughter tends to nurse for 15 minutes or more after she has drained the breast. I was told by her pediatrician - before he recommended I mostly bottlefeed - not to allow her to do this because I wasn't giving my breasts a chance to refill. He said I shouldn't let her feed for any longer than 10 minutes per side. Is this good advice?
    You need a new doctor. Unbelievable. I wouldn't trust them with any advice because they are clueless and passing off their ignorance as truth because of their profession...very bad combination.

My son nurses and nurses, in the beginning it was literally all the time. Much of what my son did was to get food but much of it was for comfort. As he comfort sucks he also gets nutrients so that is great.

Put the baby to the breast whenever you can. Get the book the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, keep up the good work and post any question you have, or even if you just want to talk.