Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Exclusively Breastfeed. Is it possible?

Default Trying to Exclusively Breastfeed. Is it possible?

My daughter is 5 weeks old and currently breastfeeds every 3-4 hours, then takes 1.5-2.5 oz of formula afterwards. My goal from day 1 has been to exclusively breastfeed her.
    I was induced at 37 weeks because she was found to be SGA (small for gestational age), and she was born 4 lbs 10 oz. Other than some minor jaundice, which was treated by blue lights, she is thankfully a healthy baby.
    The first few times I attempted to nurse her, there was some difficulty with her latch. She would flatten the nipple, which the nurses told me meant she wasn't getting all of the milk she could out of my breast. Also, she was very slow to nurse, and would pause after nearly every suck for several seconds before starting again.
    After a day and a half in the hospital - and countless consultations with the lactation nurses - the doctors told me that they were worried my milk hadn't come in yet because of the latching difficulties, and she was not getting enough nutrition. Her weight at this point had dropped down to 4 lbs 4 oz. They strongly encouraged me to start supplementing with formula, about 1 oz per feeding. I was pretty upset at the idea that my body wasn't producing enough to sustain her, but I felt I had no choice and began supplementing the day before she was discharged from the hospital.
    It took several days before I was 100% sure my milk was in, and I was pumping occasionally to try and stimulate production in the hopes that she would be able to come off the formula and start breastfeeding exclusively. I waited until she was up to 5 lbs, and then started to cut back on her formula and increase the time we spent breastfeeding for 3 days. During those 3 days, she gained about 1/2 oz per day. Upon visiting the pediatrician, I was told the weight gain was not good enough. He said that my milk supply was probably insufficient because of the supplementing, so I should switch her to mostly bottle-feeding. I was frustrated after hearing this, since the reason I started supplementing in the first place was because the hospital pediatricians pushed me to.
    After all of this mess, I still have some hope that I might be able to increase my supply and exclusively breastfeed. Should I just give up on this, or is there some advice that you guys can give me to help make this goal happen?
    Thanks,
    Kimberly

Default Re: Trying to Exclusively Breastfeed. Is it possible?

5 weeks is still very young. You can do it!
    this link should be helpful to you.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

are you pumping any now?
    what sort of pump do you have?

have you thought about ditching bottles and giving the suppliment in another way so that baby mets all sucking needs at the breast.
    more info about that here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

Hi. Welcome! Your Doctors are giving you totally Horrible misinformation and I am sorry. Let me tell you that I think part of it is because your baby is so small that they are worried. But also completely wrong. About everything. First of all anything up to 10% of birth weight IS Normal and not cause for alarm or supplementation. 2nd anything in the range of .5oz-2oz a day is all also in the range of NORMAL in terms of breastfeeding.
    Where is your child at now in terms of weight?

Way too lazy for formula

I feel for you. I was told by my girls ped to give formula after every breastfeed which I did not do. I give her a 4 oz bottle high cal. twice a day other than that she is breastfeed. She gains weight slower than they want but I just do it my way. She wants her 2 bottles she gets fussy after a while if you do not give her them but she likes the breast also. What calorie mix is she on? my girl is on 24 cal. She can drink less and get more calories then you could feed her a little less formula and I would not add more to her bottle can you can try to slowly reduce her bottles?, that way you will start making more milk.

@andrea: I do pump still, but I confess in the last week I have decreased pumping to once a day or sometimes even less because I was increasing the amount of time she spent nursing. The pump I use is the Medela Freestyle.

I initially supplemented using syringes with feeding tubes attached, and would try to use them while she was breastfeeding, but it took three hands to do this and I didn't have someone present with me at every feeding. Then I tried to sterilize them, and the tubes melted. I have been unable to replace them since then, and I've asked the pediatrician and several drug stores with no success. I will definitely read over the links and look into these other forms of supplementing.

@djs.mom: She weighed in at 5 lbs 5.5 oz on Friday.

it sounds like your doing the right things...
    Putting baby to breast more.

how are your nipples are they cracked or bleeding?

Not trying to pry, but do they know what the cause of the SGA was? If you're not comfortable answering that's fine.

@mommyto6: She's on Enfamil Newborn Premium, which I believe is 20 cals. What kind is 24 cals? I have been trying to decrease the bottles, and a higher calorie mix might help.

Your docs are giving horrible advice. I was told to suppliment, that my milk wasnt coming in, that my DD was too small and losing too much...I didnt give formula and she is now 2 and still nursing. Sometimes they scare you into it, they are the docs afterall, and should know best...but sadly often times they give out misinformation.

Can you contact your local LLL leader and attend some meetings? How many wet and dirty diapers is your LO having? At 5 weeks your baby should be nursing round the clock!

Hang in there, it sounds like you are really trying to make this happen, and it will!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK