Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help

Default Please help

My little one is 12 weeks old now, and has been doing great nursing. We have had a rocky road but things seem to be going well until this morning. He ate fine when he got up at 4 am for his night time feeding but then this morning he wouldn't nurse. Every time I tried he would scream and not latch at all. Finally at 9:30 I just made him a bottle which he took.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Default Re: Please help

Does he get a lot of bottles? Did you pump at the same time you gave him the bottle?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Does he get a lot of bottles? Did you pump at the same time you gave him the bottle?

I pumped to make the bottle. He doesn't get a lot of them no, I am home with him all the time. Maybe once or twice a week.

Ok, then I would just go with it. What I mean is, don't bother with any more bottles. He may just be fussy, or fighting off an infection or something. Sometimes my baby doesn't want to nurse and it seems a long time to me, but I feed her on demand and she knows when she's hungry.

It's very frustrating though!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Don't panic. I also think that at 12 weeks, you don't need to worry or "try" to feed your baby. Let your baby "ask". Because by now your child can go longer periods without being hungry. I wouldn't feel like every time the baby doesn't eat you need to make a bottle. Between now and 4am tomorrow (a 24hour period) there will be PLENTY of opportunities to eat. And even if you child only will nurse when sleepy, there is still enough opportunities with napping and going to bed along to hit 6-8 sessions. Don't worry Mama. I am not saying Never "Offer" again. Just that it's quite possible that your child was expressing frustration that he didn't want to eat and you kept trying to distract him. (with food) And also remember that just because a baby WILL eat a bottle doesn't mean that they needed that food or even wanted it. They have to swallow when being bottle fed or they choke. Because the milk is constantly dripping into their mouths. So relax, count sessions between now and 4am in the morning and let's talk about it tomorrow if a pattern emerges. And remember, as long as your child eats between 6-8 times, even if it's not as much as you are used to, your child is not starving and will be fine.

Way too lazy for formula

this happened to me! i was so confused!!!
    i figured out my lo could be just too sleepy, or gas, or just wants to play. usually it was one of those things. i read they are still adjusting and their schedules might change.
    dont worry unless not enough diaper output or loss of weight.
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we