Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help mamas!

Default I need help mamas!

Sorry I'm not on here as much lately, I check in briefly when I can but I've been super busy.

I'm in desparate need of some support or advice or just ears to listen/shoulders to cry on.

Gavin is 19 months now and I am soooo fed up with nursing him. There are times when I desparately want him to wean.

He nurses in the morning and before bed. On weekends sometimes at nap time.

But lately he's been nursing all night long and it's driving me up the wall. At first it's fine but after a half hour it makes me want to scratch my nipples off it's so irritating. It doesn't hurt. It just gets up my spine. And he just wants to stay on for hours. I've tried just taking him off after that point and it always results in screaming and tantrums which let me tell you are hard to deal with at 2 am when you've been sleeping for a while.

He has four molars coming in right now. It's been WEEKS already that he's been working on them. I'm trying so hard to be sympathetic of that but it's becoming really really hard.

I want to night wean him or find a way to refuse to nurse him past his bedtime nurse but he's teething and I haven't found any other way to get him back to sleep when he wakes. He just screams and screams. I keep telling myself he'll go back to morning and bedtime once the teeth are in. But then there are always more teeth to come.

I'm having a really hard time with this.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: I need help mamas!

Toddler nursing is fun, huh? I remember those intense feelings of irritation with my first DD. I've even had some with my fifteen month-old. It's like "Just get off me, kid!" I often think of the farm dog, racing away from her half-grown pups and their sharp teeth. She'd stand up and shake off the litter, and run off, looking like she had HAD IT.

Would it help to have a time limit that G could really perceive and therefore understand? Like, "I will sing Twinkle Twinkle three times, and then it is time to be done." I used that at the end with DD1- she got to nurse for a ten count and then it was bedtime.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

no advice jst s and support for whatever you need to do to be sane, i like the idea of a limit or is there something you can do to take your mind off it while he's nursing, although at night I guess it's not that easy
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Amanda. I hear you totally. The only thing I do ids to tell him that YES we can nurse but this is for how long, or exactly when. Then he hears the "yes" part and I get my limits.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

No advice mama. Just know that it will end. Those molars are rough and they take forever to come in. When Silas unweaned it was right in time for the 2 year molars to come. Once they are through maybe then try the night weaning?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Have you tried any pain relievers at bedtime? I'm sorry you're going through this Amanda.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I am there with you only Libs is going to be 2y next month and nights are the worst. I have decided though that starting tonight she will be in her bed and only her bed. I'm sure this will go badly cause she can hit notes when screaming that Miriah Carey would be jealouse of!
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Thanks ladies. I've tried putting time limits on it and he just doesn't get it. He gets royally p*ssed when time is up.

At bed time I do use distraction on my self. I've been playing games on my phone while he goes to sleep. That keeps me sane then. I guess that's kind of why the night wakings get to me. I don't want to play at that point I want to sleep. Well that and he just wants to hang on forever. Last night after about an hour I cut him off and said it was "all done" a phrase he knows and understands. He screamed for an hour. Mama Nanums! Mama Nanums! (I used to think that was so cute... it's losing it's cuteness now!)

DH tried lying with him rubbing his back. Talking to him, singing to him. Eventually he was exhausted and accepted a sippy cup of cold water instead. Even then he lay in bed letting out the odd complaint or groan before he fell asleep. I felt like I was torturing him.

I've tried the pain killers before bed. They don't seem to do anything to be honest. I only once tried giving it to him when he woke instead of before bed. That didn't seem to have much of an effect either. But I only tried once. I could give it another shot.
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Awww, I'm sorry you're going through this! The others have already suggested what I was thinking... and my thoughts were pain relievers before bed (ibuprofen), and have your DH work on soothing him back to sleep. I know you said your DH tried lying with him and rubbing his back... but maybe Gavin just needs to get used to your DH doing that more often? I know it's hard and you want to be there for him while he's teething, but it's ok to place limits as suggested.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Well I have two weeks until school starts up again. I guess if I'm going to start enforcing limits now is the time to do it!! Hopefully but the time my classes start he'll be more used to it.
    Amanda