Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: waking up very frequently/nursing

Default waking up very frequently/nursing

Hello,
    My 10.5 month old was waking up 2x per night to nurse for a while. He was able to go to sleep on his own for naps (I was working 3 days per week). I stopped working at the end of July and since then I have nursed him to sleep before his naps. For the past week he has been waking up very frequently to nurse at night, sometimes after just 1 hour. Often after I nurse I put him down in his crib and he immediately wakes up and cries, so I have to repeat...he never used to do this. I am back to nursing and rocking him to sleep...I feel like he is a newborn again.
    Is this normal? Or do you think because I started nursing him to sleep before each nap that he "forgot" how to fall asleep on his own? I am not sure whether to keep doing what I am doing or to stop nursing to sleep before naps to encourage him to fall asleep on his own.
    Maybe he is cutting another tooth? Or he did start taking some steps last week so could that be it?
    Thanks.

Default Re: waking up very frequently/nursing

It's totally normal. The most normal thing about a child's sleep is that nothing is normal. They change so often. Just when you think you have a routine a new tooth or milestone messes it all up. My son, who is 11 months old, has taken to thrashing about in the middle of the night. He's working hard on walking. So he's moving a lot. And nursing every 2 hours. It's tough, especially when his thrashing lands on my face, but I know it's just a phase and won't last forever. I wish I had more than joint misery
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thanks so much. I am glad I found this forum!

It's really great you are following your motherly instinct and responding to your DS' needs
    My DD did the frequent night waking and nursing back to sleep. Co-sleeping really saved my sanity I couldn't imagine getting up each time she woke up. She got better as she got older.
    My DS just started doing that too again, I think he might be teething or learning how to crawl (or both!). He is 8 months btw.

I am seriously considering co sleeping for the future kids. I just have to convince my husband! Do they nap in their crib?

Article on safe co-sleeping: http://babyparenting.about.com/od/sl.../a/cosleep.htm

Co-sleeping babies nap all sorts of places. My girls napped on my bed until they learned to roll, and in the swing until they were around 10-12 months old, after which they started napping in the stroller or their cribs. A lot of the trouble with infant sleep- IMHO- is our expectations. If we expect babies to sleep solo, in a crib, without waking or with minimal waking, we're going to be disappointed. Babies, when given a choice, usually prefer to sleep with a person or at least in motion. It doesn't jive with our visions of a newborn peacefully resting in a crib, and the crib manufacturers certainly don't want you to know that there's a good chance that you will drop $100+ on a crib, only to end up using it to hold clean laundry...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Babies, when given a choice, usually prefer to sleep with a person or at least in motion. It doesn't jive with our visions of a newborn peacefully resting in a crib, and the crib manufacturers certainly don't want you to know that there's a good chance that you will drop $100+ on a crib, only to end up using it to hold clean laundry...
    So true Mommal! My DD was/is in a pack and play next to our bed, and then co-sleeps part of the night. The co-sleeping part of the night is much easier, but DH is completely paranoid he will roll on her, and claims he sleeps with one eye open, but as in reality I'm the only one awake during the night lol.

The frequent waking for my DD was/is teething and milestones, she's going to be 12 months in a week, and getting more teeth again. A phrase I see on the forums often is "This too shall pass". Good luck mama!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love