Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn Constipation?

Default Newborn Constipation?

My baby boy is now 5 days old. He latched well the first two days and then we had an episode starting the third day, where he would scream and feed for 3-5 hours at a time! He couldn't latch for more than a few sucks. He didn't poop for a whole day. I decided I was engorged and did everything to treat that. I put him on a schedule of every 2.5 hours and a 4.5 gap at night. He started latching well and I gave him pumped milk but he still hadn't pooped, so we gave him a half of a suppository and he was in heaven. He pooped twice and slept. He latched on the best he had since birth for the next two feedings.

This morning he woke for his night feeding on time but screamed and cried for 2 hours. He is doing the bad latching again. On for a few sucks and off. He is really gassy. He has had the hiccups 4 times since yesterday afternoon. We gave him the second half of the suppository and he immediately pooped it out and then had a green foamy poop. He nursed a bit more and went to sleep. I know that he is getting hindmilk because I empty each breast after feedings and there is rarely anything left. If there is, he gets it at the next feeding.

Is his system just getting used to eating right after 30 hours of struggle? I feel like it is something with my milk that is making him sick. I don't know what to do. I am so desperate for him to be happy and enjoy his life but it seems like he is just so miserable. I need help!

Default Re: Newborn Constipation?

Mama, I truly doubt that it is your milk that is the problem. I know it's hard to relieve yourself of the burden of thinking that everything your baby does is related to something you're doing/not doing/how you're feeding him- but try to let it go.

Constipation in a breastfed baby is unusual. Breastmilk has a mild laxative effect, which generally means that breastfed babies poop a lot, even more than their formula-fed peers.

It's possible that your baby's system is just getting into gear, so to speak, as he adjusts to this strange new business of eating and digesting and excreting. But if you are concerned, please see your pediatrician. When a baby isn't pooping, that can be a reason for concern. Probably it's nothing- but with a 5 day old baby I think it pays to be sure.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

this might sound silly but are you trying to do to much?
    I found this the case when I had my 2nd baby I feal so good after his natural birth that I was over over doing it.
    once I relaxed and took him to bed I fealt much beter,
    TRy and rest when baby rest drink plenty of fluids and take care of you!