Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scalding temperature

Default Scalding temperature

So I know that there are several different temperatures mentioned for scalding in that beast of a thread. Kellymom mentions reaching 180 but also 144.5 x 1 minute or 163 x 15 sec for bile salt stimulated lipase.

Is the lipase that causes milk to go bad really even bile salt stimulated lipase? If so how the heck is it breaking down the milk fat in the bottle when there are no bile salts in there!?

To be on the safe side I have been reaching 180 degrees with the bottle warmer and then immediately removing the bottle, pouring the milk to another container and cooling.

I'm wondering what temperature you all use that works for you. I know 180 works but I'd like to use a lower temp if possible so as to not denature all of the "good" proteins in the milk. Also how do you achieve one temperature for a sustained period of time using the bottle warmer method? Do you just let it reach say 163 and then let it climb for 15 seconds?
    Tamara -
    Mom to Lydia born 2/28/11

Default Re: Scalding temperature

I start timing it when it hits 145 F. After 1 minute, I pull it out. It would boil at 180 at my altitude though. Sometimes it's 160ish degrees - especially in the bottle warmer. It's usually around 155 if I do it in a pan of water on the stove.

I don't know why it works, I just know it does and I'm thankful I have a way to keep my frozen milk from tasting like vomit.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I do 145 for a minute in a bottle warmer just fine
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I scalded using a bottle warmer. Once the instant read thermometer hit 145, I'd set a timer for 1 min. Temp continued to climb during that minute - with ending temp in the mid-150s.

Worked fine to stop lipase enzyme for me.

And I am at elevation - a little more than 5000 feet.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for your experiences. I'm now doing 163 for 15 sec - so far so good. I'm a little nervous about "undercooking" my milk. Maybe when I finally get a full weekend without work (2 more weeks until that happens!) I'll do some smaller test batches at lower temps and longer durations.

I'm pretty much at sea level so we'll see how it goes.
    Tamara -
    Mom to Lydia born 2/28/11

I had the same question about type of lipase. There appear to be at least two types in breast milk, bile salt stimulated (which you're right, from the name seems to mean it isn't activated until it's in the baby's gut?) and lipoprotein lipase. Then babies make there own "lingual lipase." I've tried searching medical journals to see if there's any comments or research about what causes excess amounts. All I've found is there has been research showing that lipoprotein lipase breaks down virus capsules when breast milk sits out at room temperature (a reason why BM doesn't last as long after it's been scalded). High levels of lipoprotein lipase are also associated with prolonged neonatal jaundice.

I've also read that it's not always excess lipase. It may be there in normal amounts but is activated early for some reason Nobody really knows why.

I know I never had problems with lipase until I was pumping often. I had pumped infrequently with my other babies, but when I had #3, I started pumping for another mom too. The milk I had stored in the freezer and donated was all fine -- about 7 months worth. I pumped for her for some weeks, and suddenly, I started having a lipase problem. This baby, too. I noticed lipase issues pretty early, and all I do is pump. I went kind of nuts and worked to rule out all kinds of potential causes to no avail. So I have wondered if the mechanical action could possibly activate the enzyme
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!