Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not producing enough milk???!

Default Not producing enough milk???!

Hello All,

My baby is 14 weeks yesterday and her appetite is increasing....however, my breastmilk supply is not. I try to pump 2-3 hours during the day--less at night, as she'll sometimes sleep up to six hours at a time. She's eating around 30oz per day, which is about how much I'm pumping.

I'm worried about 2 things:
    1) I can't keep up with her supply (some days she out-eats me)
    2) I would really like to be able to store milk for times I need to be out or for other reasons.

I know how to hand express during and after pumping, and I do what I can to get out as much as I can, but it doesn't seem to work. What can I do?? I don't want to use formula, but I'm fast running out of milk and I'm concerned.

Help!!

Default Re: Not producing enough milk???!

Are you not interested in nursing?

30 ounces seems like it should be plenty.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I've been pumping exclusively since she was born because she didn't latch. At this point, based on what I've read and the people to whom I've spoken, switching could be very difficult and I'm not sure I really want to try. (I tried until about 8 weeks)

30 ounces is enough for now, but what do I do when she needs more? Also, I can't store any milk and I need to have at least some milk supplied for her in case I need to be away for a bit. I am concerned especially about having enough back-up.

How can I increase my supply?

Breast milk is not like formula. You are not going to keep needing more and more and more. I think that in general, they take between 24 and 32 ounces of breastmilk per day from around 6 weeks to a year. At 6 months or so, you'll probably introduce other foods which will help, although I wouldn't expect the baby to eat much.

Things you can do to increase your supply:
    eat oatmeal
    pump more times and/or longer
    take fenugreek, hopefully someone with more experience will come along...
    Make sure you are eating enough food and drinking enough (to thirst) water
    Make sure your pump parts are all still working correctly

Also, I have to say it, sorry - nurse. There is no better way to increase your supply than nursing. There are lots of women here who have been able to get older babies to nurse after EPing - so if you are interested in doing that, you could post and someone (several someones) would be able to provide you support for that.
    Tracie

Mommy to

with the previous poster. unlike formula the composition of BM changes as you get further post partum to keep up with your LOs increasing needs but the amount doesn't change much at all. I think you will do fine with 30 oz. This link has some more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Also this link has some more info about increasing pumping output. One thing that I found particularly helpful was pumping until I got a second letdown. I could get another oz or two each time I pumped that way. Also power pumping once a day ( morning seemed to work well for me) which is pumping for 10 or 15 minutes, resting for 10 or 15 minutes then back on the pump and so on for an hour.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thank you so much for your help ladies!! I had not heard of "power pumping" and will give it a try today! It's good to know that her appetite should stay about the same for at least the next 3 months, at which point I do plan on introducing solids.

There are a few other mamas here that are exclusively pumping, and if you need a boost or to complain, etc, please feel free to stick around. There are also a lot of us that pump at work for our babies.
    Tracie

Mommy to

What kind of pump are you using, and what is your current pumping schedule?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks so much!! I hate pumping....I wish she had just latched because pumping HURTS if I do it too often. Lanolin is my best friend.

I have thought about trying to switch her over to the breast but I've had little success with it. I tried breast shields, just the nipple, when she's very hungry all the way through not hungry at all just to see if she'd do it. She did, a couple of times, but that was it, and it was very painful. I guess I found pumping to be more of a comfort, and I have grown used to it. That being said, I still hate it. My goal is to give her exclusively breast milk until 6 months, then continue to feed it to her until at least a year old.

I'm lucky I produce at all...I had a breast reduction a couple of years ago so my chances were already slim!

I am using the Ameda Purely Yours pump, and I pump every 2-4 hours during the day (2-3 if I can swing it) and at night I take up to a 6 hour break while she's sleep.