Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 minute nursing sessions?

Default 5 minute nursing sessions?

I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.

I'll preface this by saying that we are currently using a nipple shield and I'm trying to wean her of it right now with the help of an LC

For the past few days my 6 week old daughter has only been nursing for 5 minutes at a time. She's got it timed to the second almost. She stops sucking, opens her mouth, pauses then stiffens up and screams. She is then amost unconsolable. I then usually switch sides to see if a change of scenery will help, but she screams even louder and pushes away. I burp her, I rock her, I walk and bounce her until she's calm and then try again. She then won't take the breast at all and resumes screaming. At this point I stop trying to nurse her altogether despite her signals that she's still hungry.

I saw an LC last monday and brought this up with her because DD was doing this same thing last Saturday. She weighed DD before and after I nursed her for 5-ish minutes (she stopped on her own) and according to whatever calculation they do, it seemed like she got enough milk in the 5 short minutes that she nursed.

This just doesn't seem right to me, especially since she's still giving hunger cues. But she just won't go back on the breast. She will go a few hours before nursing again.

Any suggestions as to what's going?
    Mommy to Ophelia
    Born April 16 2011 after 2.5 yrs TTC

Default Re: 5 minute nursing sessions?

It sounds like you have a fast nurser on your hands! Do you have a lot of milk, or perhaps a fast letdown? Sometimes when one or both of those situations apply, the baby gets full very fast. Her hunger is satiated, but her need to suck may not be, leading to her continuing to give you cues indicating a need to suck. If her diaper output and weight gain are good, and she's at least 3 weeks old, maybe you could try offering a paci?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ive actually had two different friends who had babies that would nurse like yours. Both had tremendous milk supplies and their kiddos just filled up very quickly. Like the others said, just count your wet diapers and perhaps see if she wants to try a pacifier.
    Mama bean to E-bean (7), A-bean (4), C-bean (16 months) and baby bean (3-28-11). We are successfully for the first time!!!

I agree with PPs. My first daughter was a 40-minute nurser, but my second was just like yours. She would not scream after though. That makes me wonder if there may be some reflux going on with yours

I do have a friend though who's daughter just starts screaming at her when she's done... If diapers are good and she is getting enough, don't worry about the lenght of time that she nurses.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

you may have an overactive letdown/oversupply
    google it there are ways to help.
    try nursing while laying down with baby above your breast so she can control how much she is getting easier.
    you can also try block nursing where you feed her on one breast for a certian amount of feeds or hours before using your other breast

oh mama. my LO is the same as yours! in fact same age and everything. sooo i was like you wondering the same thing. worried. ii too asked a LC and did a lot of research on here.

same answer. every baby nurses differently. i have a fast nurser . i know he's getting enough because i'm counting his diapers. sometimes he wants to nurse for 5 min or even more. then mins later he'll want to go back on. i think mostly for comfort sucking and if he's hungry...well he's getting some milk while at it.

How do I know if I've got oversupply or overactive letdown?

Yesterday and today she's been back to normal, nursing for 10-15 minutes or longer. It's like she goes through these weird little phases. She was having the normal amount of wet and dirty diapers during that time though. Can my milk flow/production fluctuate to create this issue with her?
    Mommy to Ophelia
    Born April 16 2011 after 2.5 yrs TTC

If your letdown is too fast for the baby, she will do some or all of the following:
    - cough, choke, gag, splutter, or make a clucking/clicking sounds while nursing
    - frequently pull off the breast (you may see milk squirting or streaming from the breast when this happens)
    - be very fussy or gassy
    - dislike comfort nursing
    - get full meals very quickly
    - gain weight very quickly
    You may notice that you experience frequent engorgement or feelings of fullness, and may leak a lot. If you pump, you may get multiple ounces of milk with ease.

If this is an oversupply or fast letdown issue, it can definitely come and go!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow! That's exactly what my LO is doing. SO comforting to know that 1) I'm not alone & 2) it may not be all that 'dangerous'.

I know I have OAL and have been block feeding for the last three days which helped at first (she was feeding for 10-15 minutes) but now she seems to have gone back to only wanting to eat for 5 minutes every 2 hours. She unfortunately hasn't had that "drunken sailor" look for a good month now, I cannot wait for those days to come back. I would love to be able to enjoy breastfeeding one day!!