Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overfeeding/nurse on demand?

Default overfeeding/nurse on demand?

i hope this isn't a stupid question. but i nurse my LO on demand. weather it be 2-3 hours, 1 hour/45min/sometimes 30 min in between feedings...if he's hungry and he's showing the signs i offer him the breast.

so here's my question. if i nurse on demand could i be overfeeding him? sometimes i read answers to threads that talk about overfeeding.....are they referring to bottle feeding?

a lot times i think my LO is comfort sucking. but there are times when i swear i dont think he's getting enough because 20-30 mins later he'll want to nurse again!

Default Re: overfeeding/nurse on demand?

also i forgot to mention that i keep reading overfeeding can be a culprit to colic? my LO does have a lot of gas and gets fussy in the evening.... he's not much of a burper but i do burp him during and after feedings. occasionally i'll get a good one. he's also a big hiccuper.

so overall LO has tummy troubles sometimes.

Nope - you can't overfeed a breast fed baby. You're doing great Momma!

Overfeeding is a bottle fed issue.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Nope - you can't overfeed a breast fed baby. You're doing great Momma!

Overfeeding is a bottle fed issue.

My LO would want to nurse for long periods of time, from 3 to even 6 hours... in the end he was just comfort sucking, but I couldnt comfort him in any other way either... it eventually wore off

Also keep in mind that "comfort nursing" isn't a bad thing. It's a time for bonding, a time where babe feels safest and happiest! It's also a learning time for Momma to get in sync with babe, their queues and sounds. There isn't a negative thing about it!

If you start to feel sore, just turn them around and nurse on the other side.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

with all of the above.

i have read some babies like to nurse more to build up the supply/ comfort themselves. also make sure he drains at least one side, to get the fattier milk at the end. read the post from the admindistrator at the beginnig of the forums on foremilk/hindmilk.

also my little one is hard to burp, after 5 to 10 min i give up but keep him upright for another 10 just in case.
    if my lo has hiccups nursing always cures them, so maybe try that??

when my lo is fussy at night i do this massage.... he does not have colic, and is not fussy every night, but this helps get the gas out. its a miracle massage i swear! http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjanfeb98p13.html i do not do it every diaper change, just when he is fussy i get him calmed down with doing the leg thing first than start the massage from the beginning.
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

I remember worrying about this constantly those first few months, especially when DD had weeks where she was spitting up after most feeds. MIL was always making comments like "oops, looks like mama fed you too much!" NOT TRUE! As other posters have said, comfort sucking is not a bad thing, and BF babies are able to regulate the flow of milk in a way that bottle-fed babies are not. Just keep following LO's cues and you'll be fine. The days of 30 minutes on/30 minutes off are relatively short lived and you'll get through them!

Sarapunkinpie88: If you're worried about LO's tummy (and my babe doesn't always burp, either, though I give up much sooner than you do! ), consider keeping him upright even longer than 10 minutes. Wearing baby on your chest is a great way to help soothe him. I've read that cultures that practice babywearing as the norm don't have problems with colic the way that Western countries do. Something to think about.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

After a rocky start to breastfeeding, we got the hang of things and DS gained a TON of weight. At some point around 3-4 months, he was almost perfectly round. Like Cartman on South Park. It was hilarious. 90th percentile for weight. Once he got mobile he slimmed way down, and at 15 months was only 25th percentile for weight. BF babies tend to bulk up when they're very young, then slim down when they get more active.

As far as burping, I had received bad advice that you don't need to burp a BF baby. You do, and should burp with firm pats until you get a burp after every feeding. My DS was fairly gassy and fussy until about 6 months, however. Their digestive systems are figuring things out.

Bottom line is that I would not ever withhold nursing from a baby who seems interested, especially not on the theory that you might be "overfeeding."
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post
    A he was almost perfectly round. Like Cartman on South Park. It was hilarious.