Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Need HELP please!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default Need HELP please!

    Hello Ladies,
    My son is 7 weeks old and we are having low supply issues. I feel like I never really had good supply with this baby. After 2 housr of feeding him, switch nursing, compression, he still wants more, he fusses until he finally gets another let down. I'm already pumping with a medela lactina (double pumping once in the morning (I have a hard time leting down with the pump). I'm on blessed thistle, fenugreek, more milk plus, and the nursing tea. We cosleep, otherwise I wish I could pump @ night. I'm afraid if I get out of bed at night, he will wake up.
    Sorry this is long, but I feel like I'm always a day late and a dollar short with my supply!! I put him to the breast every 2 hours, and he spends usually 1 hour at the breast. Still he fusses at the breast till he gets another let down.......WHAT AM I DOING WRONG LADIES????? PLEASE help!!! How do I make more milk? Thank you.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    relax and have someone like a doc or lactation consultant check the latch!

    also are you sure that he wants more?? i have read that babies want to constantly nurse to help build the supply, its instinct to make sure they will have enough for upcoming growth spurt/for more in the future bc they are growing and will need more. maybe your lo is doing exactly what youre trying to do!

    i would look up how many diapers your lo is supposed to having a day. you must have a 2 month wellness checkup coming soon?? ask the doc to help you if you have a bf supportive one. also my ped office has a lactation consultant on staff, see if yours does and if she can be at the appointment!

    good luck and as long he is gaining weight and good diaper output i wouldnt worry too mch!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarapunkinpie88 View Post
    relax and have someone like a doc or lactation consultant check the latch!

    also are you sure that he wants more?? i have read that babies want to constantly nurse to help build the supply, its instinct to make sure they will have enough for upcoming growth spurt/for more in the future bc they are growing and will need more. maybe your lo is doing exactly what youre trying to do!

    i would look up how many diapers your lo is supposed to having a day. you must have a 2 month wellness checkup coming soon?? ask the doc to help you if you have a bf supportive one. also my ped office has a lactation consultant on staff, see if yours does and if she can be at the appointment!

    good luck and as long he is gaining weight and good diaper output i wouldnt worry too mch!
    Thank you for your response sarapunkinpie88. Yes, we do have a 2 month check up coming up and I will ask the ped. for some breastfeeding advice. My son has about 6 diapers a day and has gained 2 pounds in 7 weeks. How long will LO nurse to build my supply? I thought it was 6 weeks. Thanks for your input.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,949

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    I think each baby is different. My DD nursed like that for MONTHS!!! WELL past 6 weeks. As long as there are enough wet and dirty diapers and your LO is gaining, which all seems to be happening...just trust your body and your baby. We tend to go by the clock, others input, etc. rather then our bodies and babies instincts. Things will get easier. DDis now 2 and she disent nurse every 2 hours anymore...lol.

    hang in there you are doing GREAT!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

    J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

    M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

    M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

    E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK


  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,178

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    It sounds like you are doing everything right. As long as baby is gaining weight and having adequate diaper output, your supply is not a problem. I know the hour long feedings are incredibly frustrating, but I promise that they will pass eventually. With my first baby, I used to read entire novels while she nursed. Seriously. I read so many books in the first 3 months of her life! But then suddenly, around 4 months, I'd barely be able to crack a book before she'd be done nursing.

    Hang in there, mama! I know it's tough when you're expecting everything to change at 6 weeks, and then it doesn't. But if you can be patient, it will eventually get better.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    I think each baby is different. My DD nursed like that for MONTHS!!! WELL past 6 weeks. As long as there are enough wet and dirty diapers and your LO is gaining, which all seems to be happening...just trust your body and your baby. We tend to go by the clock, others input, etc. rather then our bodies and babies instincts. Things will get easier. DDis now 2 and she disent nurse every 2 hours anymore...lol.

    hang in there you are doing GREAT!!!
    It's so hard to trust my body when my baby is crying, but you are right dara. I do go by other people's comments, I will follow your advice. Thank you so much for your support.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. As long as baby is gaining weight and having adequate diaper output, your supply is not a problem. I know the hour long feedings are incredibly frustrating, but I promise that they will pass eventually. With my first baby, I used to read entire novels while she nursed. Seriously. I read so many books in the first 3 months of her life! But then suddenly, around 4 months, I'd barely be able to crack a book before she'd be done nursing.

    Hang in there, mama! I know it's tough when you're expecting everything to change at 6 weeks, and then it doesn't. But if you can be patient, it will eventually get better.
    Thank you mommal for your encouragement and support, I really needed it today. Hopefully we can hang in there, just taking it one feeding at a time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    Just wanted to chime and say that if you are getting enough diapers and have good weight gain not to worry. My son nursed like that for the first few months, I watched a ton of movies, read, surfed the net, etc. A lot of people said "maybe he's not getting enough milk" even though he was in the 95th percentile for weight and height!!! It was hard, but I learned to trust (and appreciate) my body after a while. Now he is done in no time flat. It got so much easier after a while.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10


    We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryansmomy View Post
    Just wanted to chime and say that if you are getting enough diapers and have good weight gain not to worry. My son nursed like that for the first few months, I watched a ton of movies, read, surfed the net, etc. A lot of people said "maybe he's not getting enough milk" even though he was in the 95th percentile for weight and height!!! It was hard, but I learned to trust (and appreciate) my body after a while. Now he is done in no time flat. It got so much easier after a while.
    Yes, I get that often from both my mom and mother-in-law, "are you sure you have enough milk"? I absolutely hate that question, especially coming from someone who did not breastfeed. Thank you for your support.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need HELP please!

    trust yourself! you are doing a great job if he is gaining some and good diaper output! let us know how the checkup goes!!!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •