Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Travel and Breastfeeding

Default Travel and Breastfeeding

Hello Ladies - I am a new time mom who in July will be away for 4 nights and 5 days on a business trip. My daughter Madelyn will be 10 months at this time. She is eating solids at this time but does co-sleeping and night nursing. I have a few questions

1. How much milk do I need to have stored up for this trip?
    2. How can I make sure that my daughter does not wean from me being gone?
    3. How can my husband and I start the night time routine transition to make it easier or do we wait until I leave and just see.
    4. Has anyone else gone through this who could share their experiences and tips.
    5. Will they allow me to bring that much breast milk back on the plane? I read the standards of TSA travel and they stated that more than 3 oz incriminates is okay - does anyone know if there is a maximum?

To date I have not used formula and really do not want to. I am slowly building up a supply of my milk but not sure if I am going to have enough for this whole trip. Would there be any suggestions on supplementing - maybe just more solids?

Thanks Ladies!

Default Re: Travel and Breastfeeding

I just posted the same questions under the pumping and milk storage forum! No answers here, but I'm looking forward to seeing what folks say!

I imagine it must be really stressful for you just thinking about this. I don't envy you at all, but it's great you are planning ahead and I'm sure you will come out okay on the other side.

I don't have a lot of help, just one thought. I have read that the Canadian recommendations allow for infants over 9 months to drink cows milk, provided they have been exclusively BF (solids yes, formula no.) I've also heard, but I don't have any sources on this, that by the time babies are well established on solids, they can get what they need from the breastmilk from only a few feeds a day. So, theoretically, you could leave as much milk as you have stored, divide it between the days and fill in the gaps with solids, cow juice, and water with meals. (This is assuming your LO would even accept cows milk and is eating a lot of solids by that time.)

Like I said, this is just based on what I've heard from other moms. Can anyone confirm or deny this information???
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Here is the information I was trying to remember: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:wh at-to-feed-the-baby-when-the-mother-is-working-outside-the-home&catid=5&Itemid=17

Take a look at items 3 and 4, they pertain to how much breastmilk babies need in a day. Jack Newman is a pretty reliable source, as far as I understand.

The new "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" has a short section on travel without your baby, but it mostly recommends finding a way to bring your baby with you. It does also say that these types of trips sometimes bruise the trust of the baby and can cause nursing strikes, but after some bonding time, most babies will come back to the breast. I hope someone else can chime in here and be more helpful about the other practical implications of your trip.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

What to bring:
    Milk bags, zippable coolers, Blue ice gel packs, pump, pumping parts, batteries and extra batteries, ziploc bags (for ice from machines), soap for washing pump parts, bottle brush, handtowel for drying and or drips

I went on a trip in January for 3 days. My son was 16 months, and nursed like 4-6 times day plus solids at that point. We are also cosleepers. he did not wean at all while I was gone.
    During my 12 hour shifts when I work my son usually drinks 2 or 3 4 to 6 oz bottles. And I usually pump like 3 times during my 15 hours of being gone those days and bring home like 10-15 oz. Don't know if that helps.

Milk to leave: I keep my freezer stash at his grandmas/MIL house in her deep freeze because thats who watches him while I work, so she had a giant supply to use.. so I have no advice as far as how much to leave... maybe just what she normally takes.

Here's what I did... maybe you can take my experience and find some tidbits to work for you.

Flying:
    I have a Medela Pump In Style backpack that was my carryon. (We flew Southwest from OKC to Las Vegas, with one stop)
    In the top portion of my PIS backpack I had a Medela Steam bag with my pumping kit, and 2 extra sets of batteries for the battery pack. Also my nursing cape for pumping in public. (I wasn't sure where I could pump in the airport.) The little black cooler that comes with the pump I hooked to one of the backpack straps and let it dangle. In it I placed like 20 empty ziplock bags and my empty Lansinoh bags.
    When we arrived to airport and went through security, I had no milk with me because I have pumped at home and left it of course. I did not have to go through special security. No one said a thing about my pump.
    After going thru security, I went up to one of the restaurants and filled a few of my ziploc bags with ice from the coke machine. Then I pumped in the family restroom (Single restroom with a lock.) i put my milk on ice in my mini cooler and got on the plane. We flew for 2 hours no prob. When we arrived at 2nd airport for layover, I got off plane, peed, DH got us snacks and a drink and I pumped again in a Handicap/Family restrrom with a lock. I dumped my melting ice, and refilled my ziplock bags with fresh ice. My milk was nice and cold. We got on plane, and flew for another hour. When we got to Vegas, we rode shuttle to Rental car place, and I pumped in the bathroom there sitting on top of my suitcase on the floor basically at the only plug in I could find while DH stood in line and got our rental. (I was using bathrooms due to sinks and washing my pump parts out and plug in availability) A few people walked by while I pumped but I had my cape on. One woman gave me a thumbs up and told me I had a very lucky baby : )

At hotel: I had bought a zipper lunchbox at Walmart and freezable blue gelpacks for trip in addition to my Medela mini black cooler so I'd have plenty of storage for trip home for all this milk. I stashed my milk in a mini fridge in our hotel room in the little freezer compartment. I also froze my icepacks there. Had to pay $25 a night for the minifridge. Sigh. Worth it though. Rotated milk as it only froze good in one spot of the freezer cube. (Mini fridge. Whatchagonnado)
    I pumped every few hours on our trip to keep supply up. If DH wanted to gamble a little, and I didn't, he'd do that and I'd slip up to our hotel room to pump. I also pumped a few times in passenger seat while he drove around Vegas lol. I carried my empty cooler around with ice packs and ziploc bags with ice from hotel ice machine for pumped milk.
    By the time we headed home, most of my milk was frozen.

trip home: Put the frozen milk in the cooler with the frozen ice packs and ziplocks with ice (as much would fit) and placed in checked luggage. 9 hours later when we got home, was still frozen mostly and got placed in our deep freeze for later use and to replace stash! The milk was not in my carryon so wasn't an issue as they don't really care liquid amount wise whats in your luggage.
    Last edited by @llli*wreckgoddess; June 2nd, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

BTW, I am planning on traveling via plane WITH Ben (20 months and nursing) next week. I'll post something if anyone wants..
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09