Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too soon to introduce bottle?

Default Too soon to introduce bottle?

Hello - I am a proud new mom of a full term baby boy. My son is now 5 days old and has been solely nursing. So far he's been doing very well - my milk supply has come in, he has a strong latch, and mustardy stools.
    Now my dilemma - He is currently nursing every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and has about one 3 hour stretch during the night followed by cluster feeding sessions. He is scheduled for circumcision this coming Tuesday. He will be 1 week old and we've been advised no feeding one hour prior to appointment time. He gets very fussy and cries if he's not fed immediately. Should I start pumping and have a bottle ready for him after the procedure? (this is what a family member suggested, however I am also coping with many who are hesitantly supporting our decision to offer breast only).

Your help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Too soon to introduce bottle?

Bottles shouldn't be introduced until between the 4& 6 week point. But I think you should be fine....Feed him right before you get in the car....hopefully he will sleep on the way there...you live less than an hour away from the procedure? Get there, Let them do the procedure, feed him immediately afterwards. That should work. I don't think you will need a bottle.

Way too lazy for formula

with PP. It's too early for a bottle by far.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Besides, after a procedure, it's not just about you feeding your baby, it's also about you comforting him. At the breast, he'll be comforted and fed! You'll find that the breast is so much easier and convenient than a bottle (even if it's full of breast milk). Your milk is always ready, in the best fit for babe's mouth, at the right temperature, is clean and always with you!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

It sounds like your concern is that he'll be hungry immediately after the circumcision and you can't nurse him there? I bet the doctor would be happy to let you nurse him in an exam room if you aren't comfortable nursing in public. I actually nursed DS /during/ an ultrasound of his heart. Doctors and nurses have always been very accommodating of nursing, even if it's just comfort nursing. They don't really like listening to inconsolable babies, either.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    with PP. It's too early for a bottle by far.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Besides, after a procedure, it's not just about you feeding your baby, it's also about you comforting him. At the breast, he'll be comforted and fed! You'll find that the breast is so much easier and convenient than a bottle (even if it's full of breast milk). Your milk is always ready, in the best fit for babe's mouth, at the right temperature, is clean and always with you!
    . If the baby's upset, he's unlikely to want to try his first-ever bottle. He's going to want the comfort of the breast.

I'm very curious why you've been advised to keep him from eating for an hour prior to the circumcision. I've never heard that recommendation before.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've never heard that recommendation before, either. I wouldn't think that you nursing him right after would be a problem, even if they want you to abstain from nursing beforehand. Have you looked into that possibility? After such a traumatic experience, your DS would likely much appreciate having the comfort of you over receiving a bottle. It's not food that he's really going to be needing at that time...

When we had DS circumcised, we went with using a Jewish Mohel instead of the traditional hospital procedure. It was amazing. I was able to nurse DS before the ceremony (it was feeding time at the zoo anyway ) and then he was held briefly by the Rabbi, then my DH held our son lovingly in his arms while the Mohel performed the circumcision. The procedure was over in about 10 seconds and I was able to nurse DS immediately after. That was such a good thing for all of us and I think lessened DS's discomfort greatly. I hope that you are able to find a way to nurse after your son's procedure!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

yeah I think I would call and ask why they don't want him to feed an hour before?
    IT sounds fishy if they cann't give you a good reason then

SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

I got my son circumcised at his pediatrician's office a week after he was born too, they also told me not to feed at least an hour before we came - longer if possible! However, when we got there the nurse suggested I nurse him in the room right after the circumcision even before i got a chance to ask if I could. My son came right back from the procedure and went straight onto my breast, we were told not to rush and come get the nurse when he was done. The rest of the appointment was done afterwards (going over after care etc.).

So don't worry, i'm sure your doctor has seen many breastfeeding moms and can accommodate you!