Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The twiddling just got worse

Default The twiddling just got worse

DD is 19 (and a bit) months. We have been working on twiddling since she was about 9 months. It recently got worse. She is doing it all.the.time. I no longer wear nursing bras in part to try and keep her fracking hand out. She does it in her sleep even. I have started keeping my hand over the other boob so she wont be able to. I put her down when she starts. I hold her hand/arm. I am so frustrated I am feeling like it might be time to wean...

Advice or wise words from btdt mamas welcome.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: The twiddling just got worse

All I can suggest is to keep your other side completely covered, maybe even with your forearm.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Ugh. I'm sorry.

Clea has started this thing where she digs in my armpits. Disgusting and annoying.

corn

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Duct tape?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Duct tape?

Yeah, I'm with you, mama. Joe still twiddles some, and now my right nipple hurts all the time for some unknown reason (probably bad toddler latching, or the results of one bad latch that won't heal, who knows?), and it's AN-NOY-ING.

I second the bra, shirt, overshirt, burqa concept, especially at night, when trying to keep little fingers off your boobs is probably not your top priority. I've made access SO DIFFICULT that twiddling is now pretty rare. What's funny to me is that, given the opportunity ... well, there it is! The kid is consistent. I've been trying to get rid of it for two years, but he just won't. give. it. up.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    All I can suggest is to keep your other side completely covered, maybe even with your forearm.
    This is what I do and keep redirecting. I know it's enough to drive someone nuts!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Does your LO have any favorite toys or stuffed animals she could hold while nursing? My LO likes holding just about anything while BFing (like the three rubber non-slip fish from the bathtub .) She also made up the "milk with" game (milk with three fish, milk with elmo, etc) and all of this prevents her twiddling. I can't recall exactly when this all started, but 19 months sounds about right.
    Mom to Jemma 5/20/2009 , my high needs baby

24 months and counting

We love to

and did a lot of

I keep "other" totally covered up and either give DS2 something to play with, or play with / hold his hand.

Sometimes I don't think DS2 really wants to nurse but wants "mommy time" so I try to provide alternatives like reading books, singing songs, snuggles, etc - lots of one on one attention.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I do this a lot - I just get annoyed because I do not have a free hand then I am so high needs
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Duct tape?
    Best.Idea.Ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2jem View Post
    Does your LO have any favorite toys or stuffed animals she could hold while nursing? My LO likes holding just about anything while BFing (like the three rubber non-slip fish from the bathtub .) She also made up the "milk with" game (milk with three fish, milk with elmo, etc) and all of this prevents her twiddling. I can't recall exactly when this all started, but 19 months sounds about right.
    She is currently holding a dollie (a policeman) wrapped in about a million "bankets" (tea towels) this works great but she is really distractible and pops off to re-wrap him, name is face parts etc etc. Still less annoying though.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Ugh, A is an avid twiddler too It's the nipple - then the belly button - then back to the nipple an infuriating game of cat and mouse. If I can block those both it's pinching just the very top layer of skin in between just his finger nails or rearing his arm back and whacking me in he sternum with everything he's got. It's pretty much only as he's winding down for sleep so I try and nurse leaning over my stomach for the far boob (squishing the one closest to him into the matress. It at least limits his options - but it's a nightly struggle not to lose my temper with him. It's a good thing we don't own a crib or I probably would've given up by now and put him in it.

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.