Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is your diet and how much does baby gain?

Default What is your diet and how much does baby gain?

Hello,

I am trying to find out in what degree the mother's diet will affect baby's weight gain either weekly or monthly( # oz. gained). In my case, I am a vegetarian and ds did not gain much weight the first month of life and then he started to gain weight very slowly. Right now he's gaining approximately 6 oz. per week and he's getting there thankfully (right now below charts) but i had changed my diet many times so I am not sure what's really working and making him gain more weight than before.
    I a very curious if there is any difference at all in different mother's diets in relation to baby's weight gain or not, or if there is a pattern, etc. If I could do something to help my DS gain even more weight I would do it. Right now I am feeding on demand and at night too. He's 4 months right now.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Arleen

Default Re: What is your diet and how much does baby gain?

Welcome! This article may set your mind at ease: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html. Basically, your diet is unlikely to affect the quality or quantity of your milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm a vegetarian and my LO's weight gain was astronomic during the first few months. She's a giant- off the charts for height and upper end for weight. Just make sure you're getting the calories and balanced nutrition you need so you don't feel run down and become unhealthy. Keep feeding your baby on demand. Does he seem satisfied after feedings? You could have him weighed before and after eating to see how much he is taking in, if you are concerned. In general though, if he seems satisfied, has sufficient wets and poopies, and is healthy and vigorous otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned. Remember that some babies are big and others are small and that's way it is supposed to be.

Does his doctor seem worried?
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome! This article may set your mind at ease: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html. Basically, your diet is unlikely to affect the quality or quantity of your milk.
    Thank you for this information!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    I'm a vegetarian and my LO's weight gain was astronomic during the first few months. She's a giant- off the charts for height and upper end for weight. Just make sure you're getting the calories and balanced nutrition you need so you don't feel run down and become unhealthy. Keep feeding your baby on demand. Does he seem satisfied after feedings? You could have him weighed before and after eating to see how much he is taking in, if you are concerned. In general though, if he seems satisfied, has sufficient wets and poopies, and is healthy and vigorous otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned. Remember that some babies are big and others are small and that's way it is supposed to be.

Does his doctor seem worried?

Hi, it is nice to hear being vegetarian does not necessarily affect baby's weight. He is dairy intolerant but I still get eggs, bread, veggies and fruits, nuts, etc. I thought I had a balanced diet until my LC asked me to add more proteins to my daily diet. She told me they help in the making of the milk. Right after that I noticed him gaining a few extra ounces. I read that we are supposed to eat certain amount of proteins in our diets as nursing mothers and I was not even getting close to it.
    I am nursing on demand ever since we found out he was not gaining weight at our first month appointment. The doctors are a bit concerned about his but he is healthy and meeting all his milestones. I hope I can get him to 14 lbs. by 6 months .