Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I wean before surgery and vacation?

Default Should I wean before surgery and vacation?

This is sort of a strange story but just read on! Any and all advice is VERY appreciated!

First of all, my husband and I have planned a trip for our anniversary at the end of next month. {Had I know this would be like this way I would never planned the trip but we can't back out now.} DD will be 11 1/2 months. I thought I could have her weaned by then but it's just not working. She loves to nurse! I hate to leave her with her grandma if she is going to cry and want me but she just isn't invited on this trip. Not to mention I love nursing her and am saddened just thinking of weaning.

Now...

Over the last nine weeks I've had strep throat four times. I've been on amoxicillin three times already and started a new round yesterday. Each time I have gotten thrush but thankfully only on one side.

Yesterday my Dr. told me I need to have my tonsils removed. He wants it done within the month and I was prescribed a 90 day supply of amoxicillin. I was still dealing with thrush on my right side from the last round and now feel it coming on on my left as well.

I'm concerned about DD getting the narcotics I will be given. My pharmacist told me she will be drowsy, be constipated and more. I really don't want her to be affected more than she already will just from me being laid up for a while.

I'm very torn and don't want to wean yet but with these two factors I feel like I need to. Most of all I feel like it's better for her to be weaned than to have the narcotics cross over into my supply.

How should I go about aggressively weaning her over the next THREE weeks. {I say three because I think she needs a week of me with no nursing before we go on our trip.} She refuses a bottle but I have thought about pumping as much as possible and storing it so she can have that. How can I go about helping her accept a bottle?

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Should I wean before surgery and vacation?

I'm so sorry you've been sick so much lately. That is so hard.

Are you set on weaning? Are you looking solely for weaning advice, or are you also interested in ways to get through the surgery and vacation without weaning?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Why isn't the baby invited on the trip? Unless you're going hang gliding down the Grand Canyon or something, I'd take her. It's easier than weaning.

Regarding the tonsillectomy- I think the pharmacist may have overstated the potential effects of the medications you're being offered. Yes, medications can cross into milk but from what I know about tonsillectomies, you won't be on the medications all that long. Can you let us know what medications you're expecting to take? There are some very knowledgable mommies here who can look them up for you, and tell you whether or not your pharmacist steered you right or was just being overcautious.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't forget about csection mamas! I took narcotic pain meds for the first 6 days of both my kids' lives, and sporadically for a couple of days after that. While tonsillectomies in adults are typically harder on the system than in children, you should be able to get through it fine.

How long is your trip? Even if it's a week long, your baby still might come back to the breast when you get back home. You can pump while you're gone to keep from getting plugged ducts/engorged. Have you tried a zippy cup (or even an open cup)? Your baby is certainly old enough, and she may take to it better than a bottle.

Btw, have you asked your doctor about taking something other than amoxicillin? I know from experience w/ my sister's kids that sometimes amoxicillin doesn't work. I'd hate you to go through surgery if simply taking a different antibiotic did the trick. Just a suggestion.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks for the replies! It gave me some great food for thought. I generally wean at 12 months and she is 10 1/2 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Why isn't the baby invited on the trip? Unless you're going hang gliding down the Grand Canyon or something, I'd take her. It's easier than weaning.
    DD isn't invited because my husband and I are celebrating our 9 year anniversary. We've never gone away like this and are REALLY looking forward to just being alone and enjoying each other. We will only be gone 3 nights and 4 days. I really hadn't considered the thought that she may nurse fine after I return. Can you offer some suggestions on how I can make that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Can you let us know what medications you're expecting to take? There are some very knowledgable mommies here who can look them up for you, and tell you whether or not your pharmacist steered you right or was just being overcautious.
    I'll be seeing the ENT Doc soon so I'll try to come back and ask around about the meds.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Have you tried a zippy cup (or even an open cup)? Your baby is certainly old enough, and she may take to it better than a bottle.
    I've never even heard of a zippy cup. This is my third baby and I generally wean them from breast to cup (I know, call me crazy!). But I am totally open to this and willing to give it a fair shake. I tried introducing her to a bottle using some great suggestions I read but it was a no-go for now. Can you tell me more about a zippy cup and what the pros and cons are? I couldn't find a whole lot on the net about it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Btw, have you asked your doctor about taking something other than amoxicillin? I know from experience w/ my sister's kids that sometimes amoxicillin doesn't work. I'd hate you to go through surgery if simply taking a different antibiotic did the trick. Just a suggestion.
    Believe me, I've talked everything over with him. I'm going for a second opinion before I decide to have surgery and after seeing the ENT Dr. I'm not one to run to the Dr. for just anything, these strep visits have been my first visit, other than OB, in about 10 years!