Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why is my milk going bad??

Default Why is my milk going bad??

Hi,
    My frozen milk is always spoiled. I pump let cool for a few min and put in the freezer on the bottom in the back. I use Avent breast milk storage containers. Every time I thaw it (in the frige) It has lil thick chunks like tiny curds and it taste sweet at 1st but then has a rotten after taste...that is very hard for me to get the taste out of my mouth. Yuck.
    I thought BM was good up to 3m in the freezer but mine seems to go bad in a matter of days. Maybe sooner I have only frozen milk 2xs, 1x 2wks and it was bad and the 2nd 1m and it was bad.
    I have a side by side frige/freezer.

What cld be the problem....the storage containers, my diet (im dairy free due to LO allergy) , shld I not let cool and put straight in freezer???? idk

I read about Lipase I'm pretty confused about what it is. it doesn't taste soapy or metallic. It just doesn't blend after thawing it has those lil tiny curds no matter how much I swirl it and has that rotten taste after the sweetness.

I'd really like to have some frozen, please help!

Default Re: Why is my milk going bad??

Some moms say their milk with lipase tastes rotten. Read the sticky about scalding your milk to see if that works. Does baby refuse the milk you think tastes gross?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Idk I've never offered it bc it taste so horrible.

I guess I will do some testing... leaving on the counter and testing every hr to see if it goes bad and scalding a few oz and freezing to see if that wrks.

Yeah, it sounds like it's really spoiled, not just "soapy." But I could be wrong - I think lipase issues can cause milk to spoil easier? I would definitely try scalding and see if that helps. But of course, also check to make sure your fridge/freezer are cold enough - was there a power outage or anything that would have caused the fridge to turn off? Store your milk at the back of the freezer, where it's colder, and never in the door.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Sounds like excess lipase. I have the same problem. Mine does not taste soapy, it just starts to taste off in a few hours. The frozen stuff I had before I realized the issue is disgusting!

If your lo takes it that is great, mine won't. There is nothing harmful in the milk, just more of the lipase enzyme. I scald my milk (denature the enzyme) using the bottle warmer method.

You should read the thread on lipase, you will learn a lot. In the meantime, express some milk and leave it in the fridge, not the counter. Mine goes bad quickly but for many woman it can take a few days. If it takes a few days you don't need to scald unless you will be freezing it or not using it before the point where it turns.

Here is a quick reference about the bottle warmer method so you dont need to search the thread for it:

http://simplyrebekah.com/2010/05/03/...g-breast-milk/

I'll jump here just to say that I think it's ok to put your milk in the freezer right after pumping ( no need to let it cool ). It's not like its super hot or something .
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yai View Post
    I'll jump here just to say that I think it's ok to put your milk in the freezer right after pumping ( no need to let it cool ). It's not like its super hot or something .
    i know from experience you need to cool it first, i had put fresh milk directly in the freezer years ago before i knew and whenever i thawed it there were these little particles. took me awhile to figure out what the issue was. It will freeze/thaw if you don't cool first...hope that helps

Ohh, then I learned something new. (Sorry for the )
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Are you sure it's going bad and not just seperated? When I cool my milk in the fridge it'll seperate some, but sometimes the frozen is even more seperated. That can make it look like there's little 'chunks' in it. Also, have you tasted the milk in the past and are noticing a difference? I have to say, I've never really tasted my BM, could it just be the normal taste?
    I'd suggest trying to give a bit to your LO and see. It dosen't seem like it would be spoiled if you're following the recommendations for storage. Maybe it's just a normal change in the milk due to freezing?