Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bringing a toddler back to breast

Default Bringing a toddler back to breast

I just posted in Rambling that Silas nursed today. I've been thinking about it ever since. I'm not sure what to do now. I would love to nurse him a few times a day. Should I just offer once or twice and see if he goes for it? Or should I let him just keep exploring the possability on his own? And wouldn't it be cool if he came back to nursing and his stress levels went down? He gets so over stimulated (we're exploring sensory issues for him) and I have to think that nursing could help him relax. At the same time I don't want to cause an issue for Lola's milk. My supply is pretty much regulated and not enough for 2. I have a millions questions and scenarios running loops in my head right now and I'm probably getting WAAAAAAY ahead of myself but.....What do you think? Have any of you started nursing a toddler after they've been weaned? Ideas? Thoughts?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Default Re: Bringing a toddler back to breast

I haven't done it, but I totally would! Even with an established supply, you can adapt to different levels of need. When Lola goes through a growth spurt and nurses all the time, your body makes more. Your body will do the same if the extra sessions are with Silas instead of Lola. I say GO FOR IT! No experience at all, obviously, but I would offer a few times a day, when it seems like he's open to it. I definitely think it would help him feel more grounded.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I totally want to go for it. I'm just afraid I'll be too pushy . He doesn't react well to "over asking" ykwiom? He's been slowly ramping up to this since she was born and each time he does a little something more. This is the first time he got milk though. So part of me thinks that he will keep coming back to try some milk.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I would offer and see what happens. Nursing calms DS down so fast it's insane. It's the only reason I haven't pushed weaning with him. Obviously I haven't tried to get a toddler back to the breast after weaning so I'm no help there.

As for your supply, it will regulate to accommodate both of them. When DD was around 9 months old both her and DS slept through a normal nursing time. My cousin was supplementing her 4 month old DD at the time so I pumped for her. I got 13oz in 20 minutes. I sh it you not. Your body can do this mama.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    I would offer and see what happens. Nursing calms DS down so fast it's insane. It's the only reason I haven't pushed weaning with him. Obviously I haven't tried to get a toddler back to the breast after weaning so I'm no help there.

As for your supply, it will regulate to accommodate both of them. When DD was around 9 months old both her and DS slept through a normal nursing time. My cousin was supplementing her 4 month old DD at the time so I pumped for her. I got 13oz in 20 minutes. I sh it you not. Your body can do this mama.
    That is insane! And awesome.

Ok, I'm going to try. I'll post in this thread as I go....
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Just make sure he latches well so you're not injured for Miss Plum.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I am almost positive that Erin did this with her first two. Silas is a lucky boy! My son never seemed interested after he weaned. I have to say I am in awe Amy! I start to loose my milk at around 15 months with both kids.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

That's so great Colleen.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie i love the picture in your sig!!!

...and i have no advice, just delighted that he's doing this! And I think Max seems to be a stressed/high strung little guy too, and the second he settles on the boob, all is better. I hope Silas finds some calmness and comfort again, Mama.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

That's awesome!!