Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterilizing Question

Default Sterilizing Question

Hi Ladies,

I've pulled out my pump and pumping supplies and wanted to sterilize everything in preparation for pumping again. My pump parts had been run through the dishwasher on the "sanitize" cycle after I had last used them. Could I just run them through again or do you suggest that I boil everything in water? Not sure if one method is more effective or necessary than the other...

Thanks, Jen

Default Re: Sterilizing Question

I wouldn't. Maybe just wash them off, in case dust got on them. If you want to sterilize them, that's fine. You don't have to. I hardly ever sterilize. Maybe twice a week...and just pump parts.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I sterlized when they were new but now, unless your baby has an imune issue, I just wash them.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

When was the last time you used your pump? How was it stored?

If the pump has been sitting unused for a long time and/or hadn't been stored in clean sealed bags, I'd probably throw everything in a pot of water and sterilize again.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you all for your input. My pump was stored in a closet...a little dusty, but the parts were in sealed plastic bags. I may boil them, just to be safe. Just wasn't sure if the dishwasher was as effective. I was trying to be lazy...thanks again!

I *do* feed my kids using the same standards of cleanliness that I use for myself and DH, as well as any guests in our home.

I have never sterilized the plates, bowls, cups, utensils, pots & pans that DH and I use.

We usually hand-wash all dishes and let them air-dry. And we maybe run the dishwasher 2 times a month when we've got a ton of dishes, like after having guests for dinner.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I sterilized all my stuff after I pulled it out of storage. Well, not the tubing. But the bottles and the pump parts. I usually do that too, when I buy them.

I do not have a good answer as to why. That is just what it seems like you're supposed to do. Lynn has me rethinking that with the not sterilizing the plates and forks that I eat off of.

Why are we supposed to sterilize baby bottles and nipples when we buy them? Shouldn't washing them in soap and water be enough? I wonder why that's even something you do? I mean, I do it. But now it doesn't make any sense to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

If my dishwasher had a sterilize function I think I'd just use that to prep the pump for use again. The only times I sterilized my pump parts were when I had thrush.

I sterilize bottles when I buy them to (hopefully) remove any manufacturing byproducts. After that I treat them like any other dishes and either hand wash or put them in the dishwasher. Well, I actually do both with ours since my son's formula is weird and the residue from it tends to cling to the plastic if you don't physically scrub it off.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I handwash all of my bottles every day with a scrubber thing too Paige.

I'm scared of residue in the dishwasher.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I handwash all of my bottles every day with a scrubber thing too Paige.

I'm scared of residue in the dishwasher.

funny - i feel like our dishwasher only leaves residue on plastic, not glass so i always did the glass bottles in the dishwasher and plastic by hand (i'm also weird about heating plastic).

But when in doubt, i normally just DO throw everything in a big pot and boil.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it