Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 days postpartum - no engorgement??

Default 7 days postpartum - no engorgement??

Hi Ladies,

I just had my second DD a week ago. I had to have an emergency c-section, unfortunately, and the recovery has been difficult. I gave birth vaginally the first time. With my first, my milk came in quickly and was very obvious. This time, however, it came in slowly and I've yet to become engorged. I'm a little worried. I haven't started pumping yet, so am not sure what kind of supply I'm dealing with, but I feel like I have much less than last time.

I was taking percocets for pain, but have heard they can mess with your milk supply, so have stopped. I've been eating oatmeal and drinking mother's milk tea...also been nursing as often as I can (on demand, no real time guidelines of any kind). Anything else I can do? Should I start pumping this early? I've been waking my DD at night to nurse...she's different than my last in that she doesn't seem as interested in eating! I've got to convince her.

I nursed my first for 17 months and would really like to nurse my second as long as possible, so any advice you could provide would be appreciated. Could my supply not fully be in yet? I feel clueless.

Thank you so much for listening and providing any thoughts or advice you may have!

Jen

Default Re: 7 days postpartum - no engorgement??

Congratulations on your new baby. I think it's common not to be as engorged with your second. I don't think percocet messes with your milk supply, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't worry so much at this point, as long as you're nursing on demand.

mama. I'm sorry you had a difficult birth and recovery.

How are baby's diapers? That's the best indicator of your supply. 5-6 wets per day is what you are shooting for.

FWIW I never got engorged with my second baby. It was like my body was already used to regulating supply and started off just producing only what was needed from the very beginning. So don't worry if you never get engorged, it may just be that your body has got it all under control.

Having a section can delay your milk coming in a bit, but as long as you are putting baby to breast frequently you shouldn't have a problem.

Are you still in pain? If so you may want to ask your doc for a different pain reliever that is more compatible. I can't remember what I took after my section but I think it was loritabs (sp?). If the pain isn't crazy bad ibuprofin should work as well and is safe while nursing. But make sure you take something because being in pain can also affect your supply and your ability to cope.

Are you getting plenty of help? Now might be a good time to call in favors, get people to watch your older dd, clean house for you, make meals, etc.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I didn't get engorged with my second baby either. Sorry about the section. Congratulations on your new baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniper79 View Post
    I was taking percocets for pain, but have heard they can mess with your milk supply, so have stopped.
    I had a Cesarean delivery as well and was on percocet for surgery pain and then needed some strong occasional pain relief for a time after while healing. All told, I was on percocet for almost 8 weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about that particular medication as far as milk production goes. If you need the pain control, that is one drug that is generally safe for lactation and doesn't interfere with production (unlike Tylenol w/Codeine aka T3, a close relative). I was concerned at first about the percocet but my doctor, nurses, various LCs, etc. were all very supportive of its use until I needed less pain control and could step down comfortably to Ibuprofen.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

I agree with other posters -- lack of engorgement really doesn't give you much information about your milk supply. The mature milk can come in slower after a c-section, but it's normal not to be engorged with a second baby, so... hard to tell either way.

Some things to watch for:
    • 5-6 wet diapers in 24 hours
    • 3-5 loose or liquidy yellow bowel movements in 24 hours (size of a US quarter or larger)
    • baby nurses actively and you can hear her swallowing

Does your baby have a check-up scheduled in the next week or so? Her weight gain will tell you the most about how she's doing getting milk.

I'd suggest just continuing to work at getting her to nurse about every two hours rather than trying to pump at this point. Unless she's having an unusual amount of trouble transferring milk -- and it doesn't sound like there's any reason to think she is -- nursing frequently is the absolute best way to stimulate your supply.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I'm feeling better, was just nervous that things were happening so differently than last time I was nursing. I'm hoping that when I do start pumping, I'll produce as much milk as I did for my first DD. We'll see...stressing won't help. I'll keep nursing as often as possible and see where that takes me. Thank you again.

I could have posted this too! This is my second baby and I have not had any engorgement and they don't even seem to feel very full. However, I have to look at her output and see that she's peeing and pooping enough. I'll see Wednesday how her weight gain is. Glad to hear it seems normal. Thanks!