Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Colic? Milk supply? Latch? PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Colic? Milk supply? Latch? PLEASE HELP!!!

My baby boy was born on May 25th. Everything with his feeding and diapers seemed normal until yesterday.

Today he fed 3 times. From 8 AM-10:30 AM, from 2:30-5:30, and from 7-currently still feeding at 9. He latches and either gives up or falls asleep and then screams until I get him back on. He only gets a few solid sucks in each time. He hasn't had one poopy diaper since yesterday, so I know he hasn't got much. Last night he only woke up at 2 AM to feed and fed for an hour. This last feed, I have been applying pressure to my breast and I've seen some milk around his mouth and I think even heard some swallowing.

I don't know what to do. Is he starving? Should I pump?

Default Re: Colic? Milk supply? Latch? PLEASE HELP!!!

Congratulations on your new baby. How many wet diapers has he had today?
    Does it feel like your milk has come in yet?

How are the wet diapers? Is he still having enough of those? If you're having trouble determining how often he's peeing, stick a sheet of tissue paper in front of his genital area when you diaper him. When he pees, the paper will be visibly wet.

I think that in your shoes I would want to take the baby in to the pediatrician tomorrow, and set up a meeting with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Nursing so infrequently is worrisome, and could be an indication of a problem like jaundice.

Meanwhile, I suggest trying your best to wake and nurse the baby every 2-3 hours. Do the breast compressions, and try the following tricks to keep baby alert at the breast:
    - Switch breasts when nursing slows and baby seems to be falling asleep
    - Dress baby lightly or strip him down to just a diaper, since a cool baby is often a more alert baby
    - use a cool was rag on the soles of the baby's feet or against the grain of his hair
    - Burp baby and change his diaper in between breasts- it may wake himup a bit

Hang in there, mama! You'll get this sorted.

Oh- and I would pump tonight, just in case you have to start supplementing with bottled breast milk. Let the baby feed, then pump when he's done. An ounce or so of milk, maybe even less, may be all you get- but that's normal when the baby is just 3 days old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oops- great question from the PP! If your milk isn't in yet, you may not even get close to an ounce. So don't take that figure as gospel.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He had 2 wet diapers. One was very wet in the morning and one that was very little tonight. I tried pumping today and didn't get very much but my breast are leaking a lot of clear white liquid and are hard as rocks.

He has a lot of gas too.

It sounds like you're probably engorged. Does the area around your nipple feel hard as well? Does it seem like he's having trouble latching on?

Yes my nipple is hard and it does seem like he has a hard time latching. He was latching fine for the first days but as soon as I woke up with my breasts like rocks we have been having difficulty. I just pumped an ounce fromthe breast he has been fighting with for the past 3 hours, and fed him. He has calmed down. Does this mean I can only pump to feed him?

No, not at all. It just means that you were too engorged for him to latch properly.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html - explains how to deal with engorgement, which will eventually go away.

Glad you were able to get some milk for him. It will get easier.

I can not thank you enough. We have now had three short, productive feedings, every 2.5 hours. I pumped on a low setting for ten minutes last night and got less than an oz, which he ate, and then ate from the breast for 20 minutes and fell asleep. I iced that breast and went to sleep. I had to wake him 2.5 hours later and he fed off the other breast, still a bit frustrated and losing his latch, so I pumped less than half an oz to soften the nipple. He drank the bottle and ate from the breast for 20 minutes. Then he woke on his own exactly 2.5 hours later and when I pumped for five minutes I got more than an oz. I gave him the bottle and he passed out, no breast afterwards. He didn't even finish the bottle. My breasts are much softer now and releasing more, so I am going to try straight to the breast next time.

Now we are just waiting for a poopy diaper.

That's great. Maybe it would still be a good idea to call the doctor just to make sure there isn't anything else going on, if you haven't already. I'm not sure how concerning it is not to have had a diaper in that long, so I don't want to give you any bad advice.