Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cluster feeding all afternoon and evening

Default cluster feeding all afternoon and evening

Ok, so my ODD cluster fed in the evenings before conking out at night for a good chunk of time. My YDD followed in that same pattern at 2 weeks of age and hasn't stopped since, but I was used to it so I didn't think anything of it. But my YDD now (for 2 weeks) now wants to cluster feed ALL AFTERNOON AND EVENING, therefore not getting a real nap in. I'm assuming she's "sleeping" while she's eating so she's getting enough rest (but I'm not...she does this RIGHT when ODD goes down for her 1 nap of the day! argh). Yesterday, she pretty much ate constantly from 9am-10pm. This is also causing her bedtime to be later than I remember my ODD's. Is this marathon ALL day nursing normal and how long will it go on for? I feel trapped in my house these past 2 weeks because I know she'll want to eat all afternoon.

Default Re: cluster feeding all afternoon and evening

How old is the baby? And is anything else going on that makes you stop and think "hmm, I wonder if this is normal?" What you're experiencing could be a growth spurt, or it could just be your new baby's norm, or it could be something else... But it's hard to tell with just the information provided.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How long does baby sleep at night? and how old is she?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Sorry, I was trying to type fast before my DD got up. She will be 12 weeks on Monday and has been doing this for 2 weeks now. From 2 weeks on she only did it in the evening, but then in the past few weeks added the afternoons (and one morning) in there. I know it's a growth spurt because she is almost too big for her 3 month clothes that we just moved her into! I just never experienced a growth spurt that long! Or maybe it was 2 back-to-back. We'll see if she does it this afternoon. So far she is sleeping for her afternoon nap instead of yelling at me to feed her! LOL

Oh, and she's always slept great at night. 5 hours+ is her first stretch and then usually 4 after that. She usually eats 1x at night between 1 and 4am depending on when she went down the night before. Last night she fell asleep at 8pm, ate at 1:30am, and then ate again at 6am before being up for the day at 8am.

Hopefully that's more/better information for you to help me! :-)

Question Re: cluster feeding all afternoon and evening

Has anyone gone through this/going through it? bump!

Thanks for bumping! I've been meaning to get back to this thread.

Based on what you've posted, I'm thinking that one of the following is going on:
    - you have a high-needs baby who loves to be close to you and nurse
    - your baby has a touch of colic, and the breast is the only thing that soothes her
    - your baby has a touch of reflux, and is using the breast to help her cope with it
    - the reason your baby is sleeping so well at night at such a young age is that she has discovered that tanking up in the afternoon and evening allows her to go without eating at night

Basically, I'm leaning towards this being normal. But if you see signs of reflux- like spitting up accompanied by signs of discomfort- then maybe it's worth a conversation with the pediatrician.

Hang in there, mama! As my grandma says "only the first 100 years are hard".
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mammal, thanks for giving me your thoughts!

Based on what you've posted, I'm thinking that one of the following is going on:
    - you have a high-needs baby who loves to be close to you and nurse -- my ODD was definitely high-needs and ALWAYS needed to be held. My YDD doesn't even really like being worn in a carrier; she will push away from me instead of cuddling like my ODD
    - your baby has a touch of colic, and the breast is the only thing that soothes her (I'm thinking she may. We use the happiest baby on the block techniques so we don't endure hours of crying. 5-6 weeks was tough and she had to be bounced, nursed, shushed, etc from dinner until bedtime. She never napped well during that time as well).
    - your baby has a touch of reflux, and is using the breast to help her cope with it (She doesn't spit up, but I was wondering if she had silent reflux. My ODD had reflux, but I'm not seeing those signs with YDD this time. Sometimes she seems to choke and gag, but I think it's because she wants to be done nursing and then she keeps sucking and more milk comes out. How would I know if it's reflux if there's no signs of spitting up?)
    - the reason your baby is sleeping so well at night at such a young age is that she has discovered that tanking up in the afternoon and evening allows her to go without eating at night (This is what I was mostly thinking. I just wasn't ready for it to be all afternoon AND evening as my ODD only did it in the evenings. I feel trapped in my house from 11am on because of her constant nursing! How long does this usually last? BTW she gained 3 pounds in 2 weeks and jumped in the percentiles for weight from the 20s to the 50s!!!)