Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my little girls weight gain

Default my little girls weight gain

She was born at 5lbs 12 oz at 2 months she was 8 lbs 5 oz and now at 3 months she is 9lbs 2 oz. At about 2 months or so dr said to give her 24 cal. formula between every feed. To me you might have just as well said give her bottles. She eats at the breast on demand most of the time it's every 2 hours at night and 2 to 3 during the day. But me being me I give her 2 bottles a day one in the morning and one in the afternoon 4 - 4 1/2 oz each. I have noticed her legs are getting more meat on them and her arms as well. So I feel she is gaining weight. I know she is not on the weight charts but I feel since she is gaining weight she should be ok she just does not gain as fast as they want her to. She was 18 in length and is 21 in a half inches long now. She is meeting all her mildstones. So I was wondering what you mommies think?

Default Re: my little girls weight gain

Welcome!

From what I've seen here, doctors tend to urge formula, especially for small babies.

Is she having plenty of wet and dirty diapers? (6-8/day) and following her own growth curve (even though she may not be on the charts)?

If so, and she seems satisfied when she's done nursing, I would say hold off on the formula. Some babies are just peanuts!

Also -- is your doctor generally breastfeeding friendly? If you don't get that feeling, perhaps you can go to a doctor for a second opinion who is specifically bf friendly.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Yes she is have at least 7 wet diapers a day. She seems happy after her feeds. she also knows she gets her 2 bottles and wants them one in the morning and another late afternoon. She gets gas alot the bottles don't help and sometimes it can be hard to burp her. she is getting better with the fussyness although she just turned 3 months on the 20th.

with the PP. Since diaper output and milestones and general growth are proceeding, I don't know that I'd be too concerned. I would look for another pediatrician, however. Just for a second opinion. You want someone who looks at the baby first and the chart second, IYKWIM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had switched dr with my other girl and it was more because the drs off got to big for my taste. I am no were close to a first time mommy but I normaly hold off stating how many kids I have just because of the responses I get.
    I was a teen mom and have had 6 kids ages 18,17,11,5,3 and 3 months.
    I really like their dr she knows what she is talking about on other stuff the only thing I don't care for is how quick they are to say give a bottle but I think that is a general rule they all seem to try to go by.

It seems as though she is on track to double her birth weight by 6 mos

And for raising 6 kids! I think it's awesome. I'm the oldest of 4, and my baby brother was born when I was 17. I love being part of a big family.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Wonderful that you are the mommy to 6! Is there anyway you can pump and give her you? I mean it would satisfy the doctors need for her to have a bottle and maybe get rid of the gassiness from the formula. Just a thought.

I am with the others. Sounds like your LO is doing just fine! How do YOU feel the bottle-giving is working out? Do you feel that it's advantageous for you to be giving her that bottle/measurable amount of chow? These are questions that I would be thinking on right now. If her output is normal (you've got an awesome barometer of having a total of 6 kids' worth of experience to draw from!) then go with your gut/MommySense.

Regarding the gas, perhaps try a different type of bottle?
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

The bottle she uses is the only one she takes and it helps her she had nipple confusion with the other ones. She uses breastflow. She likes her bottles and I know how hard it can be when a baby will not even take a bottle so it works. But I will not increase the amount of forumla I give her so if she wants more she has to get it from the breast.