Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Transition to Table Foods

Default Transition to Table Foods

My DS (now 11 months old) has been doing a really good job eating finger foods. He LOVES to feed himself (especially blueberries, which make his poop very interesting, LOL). Additionally, after a slow start (he didn't eat solids very well until about 9 months), he took to purees, eating quite a bit at each meal. I also would give him yogurt and infant cereal (I know, I know, but he's low in iron as proven by a blood test). He also nurses about 5 or 6 times a day, with a few "sips" here and there.

Anyway, as of the last week or so, DS has been less and less interested in being spoonfed, eating about half of what he used to at meals (including cereal, yogurt, and purees), but still eating the finger foods. Therefore, I'm pretty sure he's still hungry. I'm thinking this is his signal that he is done with purees, which I think is age appropriate since many babies transition to "real" food at even earlier than 11 months. So, I'm looking for some guidance. Do you think he may be ready for more table foods? My ped. told me at his 9-month appt. to just introduce table foods during this time. Also, since his iron is low, I need to make sure he eats iron-rich foods. I do give him meat, which he seems to like, but I'm looking to introduce spinach. How have you served spinach to your LO when not pureed? Just looking for ideas.

Since this is my first time with this Mommy thing, I'm looking for some experience to guide me. Thanks!

Default Re: Transition to Table Foods

Sounds like your LO is done with the spoon! I'd just start giving him bits of table food and seeing what he does with it. Spinach can be served cooked and cut or torn into shreds.

Oh- and don't feel bad about using cereal! There's nothing wrong with it, especially if it's helping your LO get iron.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

w/ mommal. I gave my son beans a lot at this age - black beans, pinto beans, etc. At first I would mash them a little, but once he started chewing more, I let him have them whole. I buy organic canned, but you could also cook the dry. They are rich in iron.

He also liked "Italian-style" spinach that we can get at a local pizza joint - basically cooked with a lot of butter and garlic. He ate it up!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

sounds like he's ready to be done with the spoon, as others said! Beans are a definite favorite of my lo still. Watermelon is also a great source of iron and a yummy treat.

I find that my LO likes to eat some yogurt sort of as dessert at the end of his meal when he's satisfied with feeding himself and has become sufficiently messy.

Have fun!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Beans....never thought of that. I haven't tried them with my DS yet, but great suggestion. Thanks! I'm going to try giving him more table food, but he seems to eat soooooooooooooooooo little. This is going to take some adjusting of my mind set, I'm sure, since I'm used to him eating whole jars of puree which is quite different than a few green beans.

you can dip finger foods in yogurt too, just a thought. (a bit messy but oh well) LO here won't eat strawberries unless they have some yogurt on them. beans are also a favorite here!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Beans are great for babies and grown-ups, too! They are rich in protein and fiber as well as iron. My LO won't eat them plain, but likes chunks of black bean burger (veggie mama here) and the other day I gave her a bite of black bean brownie to try . I know, I know. Not so great with the sugar, but you should have seen her face light up!

Black Bean Burgers: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/homemad...rs/Detail.aspx You can adjust the recipe to leave out things your LO isn't eating yet (whole eggs, etc.). Don't be afraid of the spice. You may be surprised just how much flavor your babe will enjoy.

Black Bean Brownies: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/black-b...es/Detail.aspx The was posted the other day in the Feeding Your Family forum, so I won't take credit for it. They are so super yummy!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

At 11 mo old, I'd give my LO pretty much whatever we were eating.

(except things that are choking hazards)

he may surprise you .....
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for posting the black bean burger recipe! That sounds fabulous. *drool* Also being a veggie mom, I'm always looking for new things to feed our finger-food loving twins! I bet they'll love it.

For spinach, I've tried taking some fresh baby spinach and sauteing the leaves lightly in a little bit of butter. Then I just offer up the individual leaves (if you can separate them out ) and the kids play and ingest some of them. My DD actually likes to suck on raw spinach leaves of all things, so maybe you could offer it up that way as a kind of paci or toy to start, haha.

Don't forget that to increase iron absorption you should try to offer something that is rich in vitamin C along with the iron-rich food! Fruits, red or yellow peppers, etc. Along with spinach, I like to grill up some brightly-colored peppers and offer them. Makes for a very colorful plate for baby and I think they enjoy the pretty palate!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack