Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sputters??

Default sputters??

Hi...I am new to the forum. I have a question about "sputtering." Here is a bit on my nursing background with my question. I am nursing my fourth child, which you could be thinking, "she should know exactly what she is doing by the time number four rolls around, especially since she nursed twin last go around..." But NOPE! I know enough to know, every child is different and so are my nursing experiences I have a dd1, twin ds, and dd2. My fourth child, dd2 is 3 weeks old and we are dealing with an OALD...perhaps I should describe it more accurately as forceful letdowns. It doesn't really matter if it's the first letdown or the third...each causes her to come off choking and coughing if she is not really careful and I am not listening for that missed swallow. I have taken to nursing in a reclined position which helps a great deal. And if she burps good after a nursing session, we can curb the spit-up issue (which was dd2 issue). But, she makes this noise when my let downs come...it's not a clicking noise and not really a slurping noise. I saw in some of the other posts that I was reading the term "sputter." That is probably a very accurate description of the noise she makes. I have been trying to think of what to call it. Why does she do this? Is there anything I can do to stop it? It's annoying! I know it is not a latch problem. I had a LC watch us a few days after she was born. I had extremely sore nipples, so I wanted to make sure we had a good latch. She wasn't latching good in the hospital. After we got home and I had some time to focus on her, we started doing great, good tongue placement, flanged lips, etc. Also, on my right side where I am a little smaller, she practically takes in the whole nipple. I nursed my twin sons, who we had to teach how to latch on. One didn't put his tongue out over his gums (ouch) and the other simply didn't want to open his mouth and take in enough. My husband, who is my biggest supporter, would work with the one, using his finger, to get him to put his tongue the right way before we latched him on. My nipples were so sore and damaged I ended up with thrush and battled it for 6 months on and off. I say all that to say, I was very careful on making sure she latched properly and went to the LC to double check. She wasn't making this noise then and didn't start making it until about day 6 or 7 when my milk really kicked in. My milk never comes in until late on day 4 or early day 5. So, I am confident in her proper latch, but just stumped on this sputtering type noise. I have unlatched her when she is making this noise and she has milk everywhere! All over her chin on her cheek, down me...it's just everywhere! She has also progressed to yanking and pulling off when the flow begins to come. Is this weird sputter noise normal for an overactive letdown? I nursed my dd1, but quit when she was 2months old, from all the throwing up she did, lack of information I had, and discouraging words from family. It was only later when I was in contact with a great gal from the LLL, that I discovered the OALD was a contributing factor. My dd1 was (and is) a guzzler. She just guzzles down drinks like nothing, so the flow didn't bother her....she took it all ...and then threw 1/2 of it back up!! My dd1 had so much trouble with formula that I ended up relactating with her when she was 3 months old. At any rate, I have had many adventures in nursing and have learned time heals everything in the world of nursing! I just wanted to know a little more about this sputter, to make sure I am not missing anything else that might be going on. My twins clicked when we had thrush and it is certainly not a clicking noise she is making...it is almost like a misfire noise or like she is slipping or missing ...this term "sputter" is the closest I have heard to what she is doing. Also, as I was reading through some of the post, I read something about a scissor hold to help with OALD. Is there somewhere to go to get more info on this? I haven't hear of that before. I did something probably similar to that with the boys to work with them on making my nipple "smaller" so they would take in more. Sorry this ended up kinda long. Thanks to all for their information and help.

Default Re: sputters??

i dont really have much info for you...other then to say it does sound like oald...i'm interested in what you said about doing something to make your nipple smaller for your boys...i have quite large nipples and aeriola...and no matter how wide my son opens his mouth, it still always feels like a shallow latch...so i'd love to hear from you how to help him get it deeper in his mouth...thanks

Welcome Dianne!

I don't have much time to post right now, but here is a link to more information on OALD/oversupply:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

FWIW, I too, had never heard of OALD until I experienced it myself. ("What? You can have too much milk? I thought I was supposed to worry about not having enough!")

I hope you find the information and support you need on this forum. Breastfeeding a new baby is like dancing with a new partner. Even if you both know how to dance, you still need to learn each other's style and get used to each other.

HTH ,

Tiana

Great Analogy Tiana!
    Dianne,
    It sounds like your LO is doing the absolute best you can hope for-COPING with it and trying her best not to let it interfere w/ her eating experience. Some babies are Sooo sensitive that they get very frustrated at the breast as a result of OALD. The fact that at 3weeks she's ALREADY anticipating the strong letdown and trying to move out of the way (popping on and off) is a very promising sign!! What your describing sounds to me like she would be coughing or sputtering off but she's trying to just swallow her way through it so she doesn't have to stop!!! This sounds to me like you're on your way to a champion nurser!!! Just let her continue to work it out. My son too did better in the beginning in a slightly sitting position. He too was eager to just eat his way through as much of it as possible. He was much more successful at this if put in a slightly upwards sitting like position. (Which is what position we end up putting them in if they come off choking and sputtering anyways!! ) It sound like you and your new LO one are off to a pretty great start! Congratulations on #4!!!!

Collinsmommy...
    Let me see if I can explain what we did to work with the boys on getting better latches and making my nipples smaller. I work with a midwife who was also a lactaion consultant, I would place my hand behind the aeriola and squeaze my breast so the nipple would compress. The trick is having your hands parallel with the baby's lips. This compresses your aeriola to a similar shape as the baby's mouth. I would hold this a little as they began nursing, it seemed to help them take in a little more, even if they didn't latch on as deep as I thought they should. Then, to help even more ...we would kinda "feed" in more nipple. Let me see if I can explain better... They would suck and rest and suck and rest...well, as they would begin to suckle, I would squeeze the aeriola at the corner of their mouth and feed it in as they began to suckle. I mostly nursed in the football position so I had access to both corners of the mouth. I didn't squeeze to the point of pain or anything. Sometimes even with all that, I couldn't get enough in and I would unlatch and relatch and start all over again. But a lot of times it really helped and saved me from having to do that...especially if I had one who latched on great and the other who didn't. Instead of messing us all up and having two screaming babies and a crying mom ...I could just work with the one who perhaps didn't take enough in by kinda "pinching" in more at the corners as they suckled. It didn't hurt me and it got them where they needed to be. Eventually, they became great pros at getting where they needed to be.

Thanks for all the encouragement. DD has gotten better at letting go when the flow gets to much...shocking to me, as I am trying to grab burp cloths to catch the streams I was unprepared for. She is still making that crazy noise, but I found that reclining helps her greatly with the choking aspect. She hasn't choked hardly at all since I have been doing that and since she has learned she can kind a pull back or let go to catch her breath. That is a step in the right direction