Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Really struggling with lots of pain (sorry long)

Default Re: Really struggling with lots of pain (sorry long)

Mama, my little one's mouth got bigger and easier to bear about the 6-8 week mark and I was healed at the 8-10 week mark (just in time to catch some horrid thrush, boo).
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

mommal-interesting you mention those 2 things as being a cause of the nipple pulling out of her mouth. I think I am dealing with both issues. I am a large chested momma (32H-I) and do think that may be contributing. I really try and support my breast throughout the feeding but occasionally let it go to get a drink something. I also have a pretty strong letdown so that may be part of the issue. I would love to try side-lying nursing but to be honest with you I can't quite figure it out. As much work as I do to get a good latch with the nipple sandwich etc., I am just not sure how I do that in the side-lying position. If you have any tips I would love to know them.

After talking to my LC today, she thinks there is a possibility that thrush may be contributing to our issue even though Reagan isn't showing any symptoms. I have been on Diflucan for about 1 week without any success so far. She advised me to try Gentian Violet which I bought today. I also bought Grapefruit seed extract capsules as well as some more probiotics so hopefully the combination will make a difference. It sure is messy though. My daughter looks like she took a bit out of Barney!!

three-wishes-Thanks so much for the support and encouragement. I am hoping and praying that over the next few weeks things will improve. I really want to BF my little girl for at least a year but don't know if I can do it in pain for a whole year.

I understanding how horribly frustrating the pain is. You're just trying to do your best for your little one and you're greeted with hurt after hurt. Keep it up Mama. You're doing fantastic - you really are. And it says a lot about your character that you're hanging in there.

I'm sorry if this has already been said, but be sure to treat both your little one and yourself for thrush at the same time. That includes treating everything your little one's mouth touches. Thrush has a tendency to hide out a couple of days and then come back rampant and if you don't squash it all at once you could end up in a cycle re-infecting yourself.

Keep with it, it does get better, and you are doing awesome! I just had my first couple of days of pain-free nursing after suffering badly cracked nipples, and my LO is now 7 weeks old. Every lactation consultant I saw said that my latch looked fine, and my LO was gaining well, so I powered through with many a tearful nursing session. I used lots of Lansinoh cream after letting my nipples dry for a few minutes after each feed, and I mean lots, I really slathered it on and let it completely fill in the cracks and cover the surrounding area. Then covered that up with a Lansinoh disposable nursing pad. I always wear a bra, except to shower and use the blowdryer on low to dry my nipples before repeating the Lansinoh. I was just finally able to get some APNO a few days ago, but I was already on th road to being healed before I started using it. Be careful with how much Ibuprofen you take, I was taking it all the time too and had some bad gastrointestinal side effects, after which I switched to Tylenol just when I needed it. Other than that, I don't think there was anything I was doing wrong. I'm big breasted too, and I think a combination of a small little newborn mouth and sensitive skin for me was all it took, it just takes some time! Unfortunately once damage is done it's difficult to heal with bby eating all the time! My bby also has an extemely powerful suck, which doesn't help. One other thing was I felt quite a bit more pain on the right side, I think because I'm right handed and was having a hard time supporting jer correctly with my left arm in cross cradle, then switchin carefully to cradle after she's latched (the only position I find comfortable.) I just started paying really close attention to what I was doing on the less painful side, and tried to replicate it on the other side, eventually I trained my arms to work both ways and am able to nurse pain free on both sides. So hopefully some of that helps or at least is reassuring! I was literally in tears with toe curling pain for a few weeks straight but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and for me I avoided pumps, shields, shells etc, and it still worked out fine. You can do it! Oh and one more thing: I am so paranoid of thrush or mastitis that I'm pretty crazy about handwashing any time I'm going to be touching my nipples and so far have avoided any thrush or infections (knock on wood!) Good luck and I know you will have that first pain free day soon too and it will be so wonderful!!

three-wishes- we are both being treated for thrush but unfortunately I am not sure that is what is causing the problem after all. I used the gentian violet for 4 days and should have seen some improvement by then but unfortunately didn't and my sores have not healed and may even be a little bit worse. I have the LC coming over tomorrow again to see if there is anything else I can do but I am slowly starting to think that exclusively pumping may be my destiny whether I want to or not.

joebug- that is awesome that you are finally able to nurse pain-free. I certainly wish I could get there. I feel like I have tried everything and nothing has really helped. I just finished the gentian violet and am now back to slathering on the lanolin over top of the APNO and hoping that these cracks heal. I really don't want to give up on nursing and go to EP'ing because that is just so much work but I really want her to have breastmilk and will do what I have to do. I hope that I can come back here some day and give a positive story like yours about how it all worked out.

I can totally understand why you might decide to EP. If you do take that road- and hopefully you won't need to- I just want to suggest keeping your baby at the breast for a few feedings a day. 1 or 2, more if you can stand it. A couple of feedings per day shouldn't destroy your nipples, and keeping the baby at the breast even at a minimal level may preserve the baby's ability and willingness to latch. That way your options stay more open. If someday you decide you want to try nursing more or exclusively again, the baby is more likely to try.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buckeyebaby2011 View Post
    I have the LC coming over tomorrow again to see if there is anything else I can do but I am slowly starting to think that exclusively pumping may be my destiny whether I want to or not.

I really don't want to give up on nursing and go to EP'ing because that is just so much work but I really want her to have breastmilk and will do what I have to do. I hope that I can come back here some day and give a positive story like yours about how it all worked out.
    I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time of it. You're doing a wonderful thing for your daughter, and you won't regret it (even if you hate and dread it right now because of the pain).

I just wanted to offer the suggestion that if you need to take a nursing holiday and pump for a while to let yourself start to heal, you don't actually have to give your daughter bottles. It will certainly be harder, but it sounds like introducing another nipple could make things more difficult. You seem to be familiar with www.drjacknewman.com, but here's what he says about alternative feeding methods.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

If she can handle the open cup well, that may let you get some time to heal but not introduce any sort of nipple confusion that might make getting her back on the breast properly more difficult.

I hope that your visit with the LC proves helpful.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

My LC was here again today and confirmed that she felt we had a good latch and that it wasn't the main problem causing my cracks. She feels strongly that now that we have corrected the tongue-tie and treated the thrush that my nipples should heal even though she is nursing on them I hope she is right. She did leave me her scale so that I can do pre and post feed weights for a couple of days and confirm that she is getting enough. The great news is that when I weighed her she was up to 11 lbs 7 oz!! which is up from 9 lbs 12 oz on June 2 so she has gained over a pound and a half in 3 weeks. That is so reassuring to know that she is getting what she needs in spite of my issues.

duaeguttae- I am familiar with Jack Newman's site and have reviewed his alternative feeding methods. At this point I think a bottle is probably what we are going to stick with if I end up pumping, partially because she is going to have to take a bottle in a few weeks when I go back to work anyways. Right now she is only getting a bottle maybe twice a week when I take a couple hours and go to Pilates. I do have the Medela Calma nipples which require her to work for her milk as it has a valve system so that she only gets milk proportional to how much she sucks. I think they work really well for us as it more closely mimics breastfeeding and I wish they were available in the US so I could get more of them more easily. (I got them from Germany)

After meeting with the LC today, I feel encouraged to continue breastfeeding exclusively as long as I can tolerate it and not go to EP'ing. We are going to do another round of the gentian violet in about a week to make sure that it is truly under control. I just have to get my LO's passport pictures taken before her mouth goes purple again!!

Thank you all for all of your support and information. I am so happy that I found this forum and all of you wonderful ladies who have shared with me your support and encouragement.

Kristen

Wow, that sounds like a very reassuring visit with the LC! How awesome that your LO is gaining so nicely. I know that when my baby started to really pack on the pounds I felt so reassured- at lest the most important thing was going right. So glad you kept the scale- it's a great tool for either picking up on a problem or for simply reassuring yourself that yes, all is well.

Keep us posted on how things go, mama! You really deserve a lot of applause for hanging in there as long as you have. So many women throw in the towel for much less reason.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Keep us posted on how things go, mama! You really deserve a lot of applause for hanging in there as long as you have. So many women throw in the towel for much less reason.