Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Really struggling with lots of pain (sorry long)

Default Re: Really struggling with lots of pain (sorry long)

Mama we had the same deal. My little one's mouth was just too small to accommodate my gigantor breasts.

It did kill us for about 5 weeks - but about at week 6 the pain finally went away. When it went away it was just - poof - gone. In the meantime I used Neosporin Pain on my nipples when I knew it'd be a few hours until she nursed again. Just be sure and gently wipe that off because it does have medicine in it that you do not want your little one to ingest.

Hang in there! It will get better. I *promise*.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I just want to give you all an update about where things were. I saw another LC today who feels strongly that Reagan is tongue tied. It isn't super obvious and she is able to to stick out her tongue so nobody prior to this has said this. I am not sure what to think as she also believes that there is such a thing as a posterior tongue tie which my ENT colleagues disagree with. I am working in getting an appt with one of my ENT colleagues to have her evaluated. I am not excited about the prospect of here having to have a procedure done but would love to have and answer and a solution to all the problems we have been having. I will keep you all posted. Thanks. So much for all the supprort and info

Thanks for the update Mama. Hope all goes well.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Just an update about where things stand. We took Reagan to see a pediatric ENT that I trust yesterday and he confirmed that she did indeed have a tongue-tie, despite having been told several times prior to this that she did not. We had it clipped in the office yesterday and time will tell whether or not it has helped. I don't expect immediate results as I am sure she will have to relearn her suck a little bit. Anyone have any hints on how to help her do that?

He told me he couldn't guarantee that the problems we were having were anatomical as opposed to functional but at least we could take the anatomical issue out of the equation. Now I just have to wait and see if things improve. The good news is that at the pedi yesterday she weighed 9 lb 12 oz which is up from 7lbs 6 oz birthweight and puts her in the 75th percentile for weight, height, and head circumference so she is definitely getting the milk she needs in spite of our issues. Thanks for all your help and support

Kristen

Kristen, you are on the right path! Hopefully someone will chime in about the tongue tie... Here are a ton of links about it though.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

good to hear!

Just wanted to post an update, I wish it was a good one. I am still having significant issues and lots of pain. Clipping the tongue tie hasn't seemed to fix the problem. I also started on Diflucan to see if thrush was the problem and that hasn't seemed to make a difference either. Not sure where to go from here. Still concentrating on getting a deep latch but still feel like it's sandpaper against my nips when she sucks. Still have large sores on both breasts, worse on the right, that aren't healing no matter what I do. So frustrated.

Oh, I was so hoping you'd have good news! I'm sorry things still haven't improved. I know exactly how agonizing it is to nurse with huge sores. Just hang in there, and keep on hanging in there... I forget how old your baby is now but FWIW my sores took nearly 5 months to heal. Just when I had resigned myself to a year of pain, the cracks started to disappear. I think I just had to wait for my baby to grow big enough.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal I'm not sure if I can last that long if it keeps being this painful. I am literally dreading feeding her because it hurts so badly and am debating pumping for a few days to see if I can get these things to heal but worry that might only make her latching issues worse. I will be talking to my IBCLC later today and maybe she can figure out why it still seems like her latch isn't deep enough or at least some of the time isn't deep enough and she pulls off and ends up on the nipple only. I just don't know what to do anymore and I feel like my options are getting fewer and fewer. I just don't know how much more I can take.

I totally understand. I hate telling people about my rotten experience, and how long it lasted, because I feel like it was atypical. Most people see improvement well before I did, YK?

On the advice of my lactation consultants, I did exclusively pump for a few days when the pain was unbearable and I was close to quitting altogether. It did help me heal, both physically and mentally. I never white EPed, though- I continued to nurse the baby at night because I never had the wherewithal to get up and pump at night. I'm glad I did, because I feel like those few sessions at night didn't cause me too much additional trauma, and they helped my baby remember how to latch and nurse when she was getting a lot of bottles. They kept my options open in terms of returning to nursing.

A baby who slips up onto the nipple can be doing it because she is losing her latch as she gets tired and the breast drags heavily on her little mouth. This is particularly a problem if you're a large-chested mama. I remedied the issue by feeding in the side-lying position only- the bed supported the breast and prevented the baby from getting too tired and losing her latch. Supporting your breast with your hand or a rolled-up washcloth tucked underneath can also prevent the breast from dragging on the baby's mouth.

Aother reason babies slip up is to control milk flow. They may do it during letdowns, when the milk is coming out too fast. My LC said it was as if the baby was "crimping the hose" in order to slow down the flow. Does that sound like a possibility?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"