Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Really struggling with lots of pain (sorry long)

Default Re: Really struggling with lots of pain (sorry long)

If your nursing bras are feeling small, I suggest goings braless for a while. A tight bra can result in decreased supply or plugged ducts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I too have been there done that with your situation! In the end, for my DD I think that the problem was simply that her mouth was too small and that she had to grow into being able to breastfeed effectively. We saw several LCs and none of them made that "diagnosis" but when I look back on it I can't imagine what else it could have been. We tried EVERYTHING and nothing helped. In reading your posts and the posts of others, I wish that I'd had even more resources available to me when my twins were very small. For us it came down to the fact that DD was just not able to get enough milk, despite trying through the toe-curling pain!, and we ended up having to exclusively bottle feed her (BM supplemented with formula) starting at 2 months. She just wasn't gaining well and obviously hadn't been getting enough to eat... But happily, at 5 months she began breastfeeding beautifully and we've never looked back. She finally had grown up enough to be able to latch and nurse effectively. Now she weighs more than DS!

I definitely agree on going to get a proper bra fitting ASAP! Is there a maternity store near you? That might be your best bet for finding a comfortable nursing bra that's the right size. In my experience, the department stores have been hit-or-miss (mostly miss) when it comes to nursing bras, especially in larger sizes. I wear a 38G/H and I had my best luck and fittings at specialty baby stores and a breastfeeding resource center. Just food for thought.

I don't have additional advice to offer aside from what has already been said, and just wanted to send a . You are doing a GREAT job and keep your chin up!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Are the wounds still open/scabbing or is it mainly the creasing that worries you?

You mentioned having a bit of OALD; that could be causing her to clamp down which can create that crease. Have you tried any of the self-help techniques for OALD?

Also, what kind of nursing pillow are you using? I had to switch it up between the Breast Friend, Boppy, couch pillows, and no pillow in the beginning until I found what worked for me.

I remember you mentioned nursing lying down. One tip my LC gave me is to cradle the baby's head in your arm while you are lying down nursing. It was MUCH easier to get a comfortable latch this way for me with a newborn. Essentially if I was laying on my left side, my left arm was stretched out in front of me. Baby's head went on top of that arm and I used the right hand to make the nipple sandwich and used the left arm to guide him on. I hope that makes sense. I tried to Google it to see if I could find a better example but no luck. Another thing my LC had me try is self-guided latching.

Mostly though I want to say that you could do all the research in the world and the answer may just be "time." I know that's hard to hear knowing the pain you are dealing with. So keep up with the Motrin, try a few different things but just remember that it will improve.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thank you all so much

Nicola-I will have to check again with the maternity/specialty stores to see if they have any bras. The problem I have is finding my band size correlating with the cup size. Most places don't start carrying the larger cup sizes until a 36 band size. I was a 32 band size before pregnancy. During pregnancy I could only find my size at a specialty bra shop, online, and at Nordstroms. I need to get fitted but was trying to wait until my supply regulated so I knew how big I was going to be. I hope that just waiting it out and giving it some time will be as successful for me as it was for you. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

kaitlyn's mom-I have a brestfriend, a boppy, and a luna lullaby. Right now I am finding that the brestfriend is working the best for me and is the most stable. I am going to have to try the side lying position and see how that works. I have been nervous to try anything new but would love to see if that would work for me. The sores on my nipples have healed somewhat but are still open. No scabbing at this point, just open wounds. I think that having pumped for 2 days and letting them heal a little bit has helped and it isn't quite as painful as it was before. I will have to look into the links for OALD and see if some of them work

The good news in all of this is that she seems to be getting plenty of milk and is sucking and drinking well. Today the pain has been a little bit better although I am sure in part that is due to the Motrin/Tylenol cocktail I have been taking. Hopefully things will continue to improve. You all have been a great source of information and support and I truly appreciate it.

Kristen

When mine stopped scabbing that was the beginning of the end of the bad part for me! Fingers crossed for you mama.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I'm here with you too! So much pain still with 7 week old baby, overactive letdown and oversupply - although we've been able to curb the supply by block nursing (using only one boob for multiple feedings) and the leakage etc. starting to stabilize at 6 weeks. Currently I'm pumping on one side to let the cracked booby heal and using the less cracked boob to heal. I'm going to try this for 24-48 hours to see if that helps. It's also a nice break since it's really painful to nurse. Anyway, just wanted to say I feel your pain and I too am hoping things will get better - sooner rather than later.

How are things going, mama?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Things are going a little bit better I guess. I am still in pain at every session but as long as I keep the ibuprofen up it is tolerable. I wasn't able to get together with the LC yet due to the holiday weekend but will be calling her today. Intermittently my nipple looks better coming out of DD's mouth but I am still getting the lipstick nipple/creasing some of the time. The sores just don't seem to be healing no matter what I do. I hope the new LC has some suggestions. You all have been such a great help and support and I greatly appreciate it.

Is the damage getting any worse though? I had a very bad abrasion on one of my nipples and I thought it was never going to heal (how could it with a nursing baby, right?!) and it was painful to nurse on it. The thing that kept me going (beside my ibuprofen!) was that it was not getting any worse so that meant that the latch was improving and somehow healing was going to happen. I kept looking at it every day, every feed thinking to myself...its just not healing...when will this heal. Then one day I noticed that it looked smaller and eventually it started healing and now at 9 weeks is completely healed over. All that to say that even though it may not look like its healing, if the damage isn't getting any worse, then it likely is healing. Remember that you do not want any hard scabs to form so keep at the moist wound healing. Hang in there...take it one day and one feed at a time.
    Mama bean to E-bean (7), A-bean (4), C-bean (16 months) and baby bean (3-28-11). We are successfully for the first time!!!

I wouldn't say they look any worse, just not any better. No scabs forming thankfully. It is so reassuring to hear from others who have been in the exact same position that I am and had ultimate success. It really helps add to the motivation to press on and get through this. Thank you so much. I may give it a couple more days before I call the LC just to see if things start to improve a little bit more since they have gotten somewhat better already. I hate to spend another $100 just to be told my LO needs to grow!!