Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of spit up, coughing, and choking sounds while breastfeeding...

Default Lots of spit up, coughing, and choking sounds while breastfeeding...

I have a 3 1/2 week old, and she has caught onto breastfeeding really nice - she is very good at it, but lately she has been spitting up almost everytime that she breastfeeds. I know that spitting up is normal, but there are times where I swear she spits up everything that she just ate. I know that if the spit up "projects" outward, then I should worry, but I wonder why she spits up so much..?? Is her tummy too full, yet she keeps wanting to eat? Do I need to worry about acid reflux?? If anyone has advice on this, or if your infant did this, let me know

Also - she almost always ends up taking so much breastmilk in (and always on the right breast) - that she ends up coughing and choking - like the breastmilk is going down her windpipe, and so she has to cough it back up. It is kind of scary to me, and since I am a first-time mom - I don't know if this is normal. I feel bad for her because this always interferes with her breastfeeding because she has to stop and cough and catch her breath. Is this happening because maybe I have an overactive let-down on that breast? Is she taking too much in? Any advice???

Default Re: Lots of spit up, coughing, and choking sounds while breastfeeding...

Trina I'm guessing this is you writing this But I did find some info for you that you might want to check out:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html Has some good info

Also, I found this that someone had written awhile back, sounded kind of what Livia is doing so check this out as well:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=9351

Hope this helps!!

Default Re: Lots of spit up, coughing, and choking sounds while breastfeeding...

I was going to reply last night, but I was just too tired to think straight! So I thought it best to wait until this morning! It sounds like there are several possibilities for your situation. It sounds like you might have an overactive letdown and that your lo may have reflux. Here are several links that may help:
    OALD from a mother's perspective
    OALD consequences and treatments
    OALD and reflux
    Breastfeeding a baby with reflux

These are all from the LLL websited...there is some more really great info there too! Maybe there is something there you can try...and if you want, I can go into more detail on block feeding if you find that oald fits your problem!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I would definately check out info on OverActive LetDown (OALD)
    I have it and have gone trhough many of the same problems.

Hope things get better!

Uh-oh...it does sound like oversupply and/or oald...my LO started to spit up around the same time he started making loud gulping noises...at around 2 and half weeks old. By 3 weeks his poops were green and he was very fussy and gassy between feedings...seeming hungry even though he'd just eaten. Do check out the links provided above. If you think it could be oversupply, block feeding has so far proven helpful for us. Good luck to you and your LO

I have had oversupply/OALD and my baby did the exact same thing..she couldn't keep up with the fast flow of milk, hence the choking and gasping. Also since it came so fast, she would spit up more and was really gassy from swallowing so much air trying to keep up. We do block feedings (which now at 8 months amounts to nursing only one side per feeding). At first I think I went every 4-6 hours per breast, it really did help. I would check into that though and see if it applies...then you can do things to remedy it...HTH
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!