Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Six month old constipated because of solids

Question Six month old constipated because of solids

I started giving my baby solids at 4 months old because her pediatrician told me to do so (she’s six months old now). Now I feel very very guilty about that because of all the stuff I read about why you should wait until six months. I’m losing sleep over this actually.

Anyway, for the past two months, she was “tasting” food rather than eating. She’d had several spoons of fruits mostly because she hates veggies and cereal. Occasionally, she’d eat the entire jar.

Now that she’s six months, I’ve been feeding her more often. She’d have about ½ - 1 oz of veggies; and 1 - 2 oz of fruit per day.

She’s been really really constipated for about two weeks. She pushes so hard for two days before she can have a bowel movement. She did not have this problem when I first introduced food.

What have I done wrong and how can I help her? Her doctor prescribed something for her, and I gave it to her today and it did help her. However, I want to resolve the constipation problem rather than relying on the medicine.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Six month old constipated because of solids

When my DS began eating solids, he became constipated, too. He didn't strain, however. Good thing to talk to your ped. My doc. recommended giving my DS pear juice, but since he doesn't take a bottle or cup, I just gave him pears.

There are certain foods that cause constipation: banana, rice, apples. And some that help move things along: pears, peaches, plums, prunes (I think the "p" fruits). Something to try. Good luck.

At this age its ok to back off or even stop solids for a bit, let your Lo's tummy get back to normal and start over...slowly. Before 1 solids are just for fun, all their nutrition should be coming from your milk.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*faith511518 View Post
    At this age its ok to back off or even stop solids for a bit, let your Lo's tummy get back to normal and start over...slowly. Before 1 solids are just for fun, all their nutrition should be coming from your milk.
    And mama don't beat yourself up! These LO's have immature systems and as they grow and mature it gets easier. It's trial and error. My son would get constipated too. It's super common as their bodies adjust to new types of food. Like Faith said it's ok to back off the solids for now. Your babe is getting all the nutrients and calories she needs from mama milk.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Excellent advice from the PPs. Please don't beat yourself up. There's good evidence for delaying introduction of solids until 6 months, but there's also good evidence for introducing it early. You didn't do anything wrong.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'd stop all solids and re-start again with things like fruits.

Foods to avoid / give in small amounts because they are highly constipating include rice cereal & bananas.

I'd stick to other fruits (pear is great) and other things like sweet potato, butternut squash.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My son was interested in foods at 4 months and has not stopped eating homemade sweet potatoes since. He eats sweet potatoes at least once a day. He's just 9 months now. I wouldn't feel guilty about feeding your LO so early, we all fall into those traps and that's how we live and learn. If you daughter is interested in food, then I would continue. If not, EBF. Food at this point is an adventure and not really for nutrition any way.

For constipation, I have found that raw pears, baked sweet potatoes and oatmeal get things moving all just fine. And our son really likes them a lot too! We use earth's best organic oatmeal that does have iron in it (which can cause constipation) but with sweet potatoes and pears in his diet, it doesn't seem to affect him in that way. Also, just cleaning "down there" a little more can stimulate things to move along as well.

Since you are giving fruits, be aware that apples can cause constipation, which I thought would be the exact opposite and found out when my guy got constipated. So we've switched to pears and haven't been too constipated since. Plus pears are easier to peel and mash, whereas apples you have to still cook them and puree them.

Good luck!

My daughter was having the same issues when we were just starting her on solids a few weeks ago and her regular doctor had the attitude that "she's big enough" for solids and suggested Karo syrup daily. I don't agree. When she was constipated I did give her Karo syrup which I would personally rather do that - occasionally - than some medication or suppository. The Karo syrup does wonders! I end up going to another doctor for a second opinion and he suggested pears, plums and prunes. It has helped her.
    I'm a homeschooling, , mom!

4/21/04 9lbs1oz FF due to hospital sabotage
    3/16/07 10lbs3oz FF bc of severe weight loss, lack of support
    11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

Be aware that pureeing foods strips the natural fibers there for being more likely to cause constipation. Its like doing half the job of the stomach before it gets there.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!