Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changes at 8 months/before period starts

Default Changes at 8 months/before period starts

My daughter is almost 8 months old and in the last few weeks I have started pumping less than normal. I haven't started my period yet. Does milk supply usually drop once your period starts? I'm wondering if mine is around the corner ...

She's hardly eats solids right now, just tiny snacks and tasting new things, but not swallowing much. She is still very much a milk girl so I want to make sure it's available for her

Default Re: Changes at 8 months/before period starts

Many moms notice a dip in supply around the time their periods return. However, there are a lot of other reasons why moms experience a decrease in supply particularly when pumping. After 8 months of use, your pump could be wearing down. And many moms who combine nursing and pumping eventually have to add in some sessions with the pump to get enough milk to cover their babies' needs, since pumping typically does not maintain supply as well as nursing does even when the pump is working just fine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Changes at 8 months/before period starts

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Many moms notice a dip in supply around the time their periods return. However, there are a lot of other reasons why moms experience a decrease in supply particularly when pumping. After 8 months of use, your pump could be wearing down. And many moms who combine nursing and pumping eventually have to add in some sessions with the pump to get enough milk to cover their babies' needs, since pumping typically does not maintain supply as well as nursing does even when the pump is working just fine.
    i noticed that i had a harder time getting as much starting around six months - it took a lot more effort to get the amount i needed to leave him with. I added a pumping at my bedtime or in the middle of the night, depending on how often my LO was getting up at the time.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it