Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another clueless doctor arggg

Default Another clueless doctor arggg

DD had an appointment yesterday, she lost 1 lb because she was sick and had diarrhea last week and lost her appetite, plus she is not too much into solids after that. So now she's 18 lb at 8 months.

She was crying like crazy when he gave her vaccination, so I offered the breast and she instantly calmed down.

Her ped told me she had to gain extra weight, and also told me that breastmilk started to be less nutritious around 6-8 months, so at 12 months is better to wean her. He always asks me what type of formula are we giving her, this time it was no different.

I was so pissed, but didn't say anything because I was trying to make DD feel better...

The law that protects breastfeeding in Panama says that a doctor can't give you samples of formula, unless very specifical reasons. This doctor gave us tons of formula samples from the very start.

DB hasn't say anything, but I get the feeling he's thinking why I make such a big deal out of it.

I just needed to vent...argg.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Default Re: Another clueless doctor arggg

That sounds extremely irritating. Are you at all interested in providing the doctor with information? Or do you just grit your teeth and get through it? I'm glad your little one is feeling better.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I would like to provide info...no, I would love it! But I just can't find the right things to say at the right moment . After leaving his office I asked myself "why didn't I say anything!?!?"
    Yai

Do you think he would be receptive to reading printed information? That way, you wouldn't have to try to remember everything you want him to be exposed to, and he might be more inclined to pay attention to information that comes from some expert source (WHO? A doctors' organization? Whatever source you think he would listen the most to). You could either bring it with you next time you go in, or write a letter and send it in the mail to him.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience!

Just in case you have any doubts, breast milk does not become less nutritious at any point. In fact, there's at least 1 study I know of which says that the longer you nurse, the more calorie-rich your milk becomes. So feel free to ignore the doc in that one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm afraid that if I give him written information he will just ignore it .

I read something like that mommal, but when he said it I wondered if I was wrong.

I've felt free to ignore the doctor many times though. He has told me so much information that I know it's not completely right.
    Yai

how rude (and apparently illegal!) to give you formula samples!

can you research and try to find a more bf friendly doctor, that keeps up with current medical studies and research (and doesnt break the law)? drs are supposed to keep learning, since there is always new medical info. if your doc is not open to new studies and info i suggest find another dr.

also he is not reading your file before or even when you arrive, or else he would know that you are not giving your lo formula. it should say in the file bm only. i would wonder what else they are not keeping tabs on??

why did she get a vacc if she was just sick? shouldnt they wait to make sure she is completely better before giving the shots? i dont know for sure but that would be my guess. i suggest switching doctors
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

My daughter was 18.5lbs at 8 months old. My doctor said that she was growing and developing very well and he was very happy with her progress. Yes we're starting solids, but no rush, it's great that we're breastfeeding with no end in sight.

You said your daughter was 18lbs at 8 months old. So I'm a little lost as to why he's saying any of that when 18lbs (8.2kg) is about the 54th percentile for weight for 8 month old girls. That's FINE.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html
    Download the WHO growth charts and print them for this so-called doctor.

Why on EARTH would he not be completely HAPPY with that?? His comments are based on NOTHING. It seems like he's only saying it because he doesn't want you breastfeeding, not because it has anything to do with your baby's health.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Yes! I already told DB if it would be ok with him if we started our search for a new doctor, he said that if that's what I want he's happy to do it. But I won't change this doctor until I get to give him information, I think I'll try the written information :-).

He ALWAYS forgets the things we have said over and over again. I don't even know if he writes the stuff down or anything.

The sad part is that this doctor has many many patients, and I feel bad that so many mothers will be lost.

Hmm, well she was not sick anymore (she felt better about 3 days before), so he postponed the vaccines for the next week. DD just hates to be there and she cries non stop until we get out.

I feel that she's doing fine with her weight, I don't like to push her to eat solids if she doesn't feel like it and so does the sitter. She's just a skinny baby (as me and her daddy), plus she's very active and just started crawling and standing.

I don't know, her ped is just..a clown.
    Yai