Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I don't know what to do next...

Default Re: I don't know what to do next...

Uh, I drink wine or beer and I haven't weaned.

This link will help you:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

I say if you are set to wean, and he will only drink milk from a bottle, stick with the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.lou View Post
    Thank you. I was about to say that he likes the sippy cup but only with water. When I put milk in the sippy he tastes it and then throws it on the floor...I could put the same milk into a bottle and give it to him and he would drink it. I have one straw cup so I will try that this evening at dinner time. He doesn't usually take a bottle at that time but I'm not with him during the day when he gets his bottles (except on the weekends).

I do want to wean partially because I want to be able to have someone babysit and be able to put him to bed if I'm not there, and partialy because I'd like to have a glass of wine every now and then. I feel bad because I know it's selfish but I'll drive myself insane if I don't do something for me too.
    You can continue nursing him when you are with him and still have a sitter put him to bed and have a glass of wine! Just like your baby will go to sleep for his day are provider without nursing, he'll learn to go to sleep for a sitter. And you can totally have some wine...

Be back later.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I was about to reply & lost power so I'll try again...

My LO goes to bed about 7:30 and wakes about 5:30-6am. He doesn't wake in the middle of the night unless his teeth are bothering him or has diaper rash so I should be okay in that department.

As for the sitter, I don't know why I didn't think it would be okay to skip a session (especially at bedtime) but if he has a warm bottle he should be okay...I guess... I will still try to wean from his daytime bottles to a cup with a straw and see if he eventually starts to warm up to the idea...then we'll see where we are at that time in the scheme of weaning.

I can't remember all of what I wrote the first time but I know that I said I'm not in as much of a hurry and will continue nursing for a little while longer (especially now) with a much lighter weight on my shoulders. Thank you so much for all of your support! (as always)

No problem, mama! We just want you to know it doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you're enjoying nursing, you can continue, and it won't be as hard as it was the first year. It's up to you.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Do you warm the milk in bottles and in the straw cup? If he's used to warm bottles, you may want to warm milk in his cup for a bit and slowly decrease how much you warm it.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I am certainly not an expert, but I can tell you what worked for my DS. First off, we weaned slowly. The process took a little over 5 months. I pump weaned at work first since I hated to pump. Next, we night weaned since everyone needed better sleep. We then gradually dropped a session every few weeks. He weaned onto a straw cup, which he still uses now at almost 3.5 years old. The last session we dropped was the one at bedtime.

Thank you all for your continued words of encouragement and support. I am in the process now of trying to get him to go to bed with someone else (we're starting with daddy) but he is reluctant to realize it's bedtime.

Last night I warmed a bottle for him to have and then daddy takes LO (with his bottle) to his room, where it's nice and quiet and dark, and puts him in his crib to drink it but he isn't happy about it and cries like you're poking him with a sharp stick. When he get's picked up he just keep trying to crawl out of daddy's arms. I had to eventually go to his room and pick him up to calm him down and hold him (I didn't nurse him and he didn't seem to mind) but he didn't want me to put him down until he was too tired to care.

Can I make this easier for everyone? I feel like I'm going about this the wrong way.
    Last edited by @llli*mama.lou; June 29th, 2011 at 10:43 AM.