Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to do next...

Default Re: I don't know what to do next...

I see your point. Right now, he's still using bottles (all whole milk now) for the 3 meals while we're apart so do you think I should start sending 3 sippy cups with the whole milk? .... he uses sippy cups of water usually with "in-between meal" snacks or just to have right now so he does use them.

The last thing I want right now is to back myself into a corner and make matters more difficult for either of us.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have the day off tomorrow so I think I'll give the sippy cup instead of the bottle at mealtime a try. Thanks again for the support. Without these forums I don't know what I would do.

I still haven't weaned Joe off his naptime bottle - it was easy to sub out his "waking" bottles for the sippy cup, but he still likes to suck on a bottle before nap. So anyway, if you are working on bottle weaning too, start with a bottle that he drinks when he's awake, and then work on the sleepy time bottles, where the urge to suck is stronger.

I second the recommendation to finish pump weaning before you worry about weaning off your evening/morning nursing sessions. Many of us had a mind-change about nursing when we no longer had to pump! It's so much easier after a year when you don't have to worry about supply, or occasionally skipping a session. Your body gets so that it really just makes milk when it's needed. Pretty awesome.

But if you do want to wean, we will support you. As far as weaning off the morning or evening nursings, I would start with the one that your LO seems least attached to. Or the one that annoys you the most! At any rate, this will vary from child to child. You can use your judgment based on your child's personality and your situation. For me, the morning nursing is like a snooze button that helps my baby sleep in for another hour, so that would be ROUGH to give up! I think he would become a crazy morning baby!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

We introduced a straw cup to DS when he was about 6 months old. By 9 months, he'd taken very well to it. There's an element of sucking associated with the straw cup that makes it a more natural transition from breastfeeding than moving to a sippy cup with spout, IMO.

I knew that I would pump wean around a year, work was giving me a hard time about it and I hated pumping. By 11 months, DS was taking expressed milk in a straw cup for one feeding a day at daycare. I pump weaned at 11 1/2 months, and still nursed when I was at home. We upped the straw cup with milk and EBM to twice a day at daycare. Then we were home for the end of the year holidays for about 10 days, and when he went back to daycare, there were no bottles, just milk in a straw cup.

We continue to nurse when he's interested and I'm at home, no bottles and I don't pump at work.

However, are you sure you really want to wean completely? My DS is now 17 months, and still gets sick so frequently, as well as dealing with teething and persistent constipation issues. Nursing is very soothing to him, especially in the middle of the night. And it's about the only source of nutrition sometimes, when he's refusing to eat because he's sick or just being insanely picky about food.

I'm just saying that, looking ahead, there are going to be a lot of challenges where you may wish you could nurse him. It's why the natural age of weaning is more than 2 years old. People think that once they can eat solids, there's no need for nursing, but with a mostly nonverbal child with a developing immune system, there's going to be a need for the comfort, security, and nutrition offered by breastfeeding.

I would start with transitioning from bottles to a straw cup, though, in my experience this was the easiest way to get rid of the bottles.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Thank you. I was about to say that he likes the sippy cup but only with water. When I put milk in the sippy he tastes it and then throws it on the floor...I could put the same milk into a bottle and give it to him and he would drink it. I have one straw cup so I will try that this evening at dinner time. He doesn't usually take a bottle at that time but I'm not with him during the day when he gets his bottles (except on the weekends).

I do want to wean partially because I want to be able to have someone babysit and be able to put him to bed if I'm not there, and partialy because I'd like to have a glass of wine every now and then. I feel bad because I know it's selfish but I'll drive myself insane if I don't do something for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.lou View Post
    I do want to wean partially because I want to be able to have someone babysit and be able to put him to bed if I'm not there, and partialy because I'd like to have a glass of wine every now and then. I feel bad because I know it's selfish but I'll drive myself insane if I don't do something for me too.
    Again, we will support you no matter what you do. But I just wanted to mention, Joe will go to bed with a bottle of milk, no problem, and I don't have to pump. And I can have a couple glasses of wine and then just not nurse him for a few hours, also no problem. If I'm having just one glass or two, the general consensus is that the amount of alcohol in your milk is too small to worry about, but if you want to play it safe, you just skip a session.

So I feel like I have the best of both worlds. Nursing is WAY less of a burden after one. If I don't feel like nursing, Joe takes cow's milk. But when it's 4 a.m. and he's fussing, I give him the boob, becuase it's so much easier. Win-win.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I just wanted to say you can go ahead and have that glass of wine! My favorite time to have one is right after LO goes to sleep for the night after I've nursed her. I got 3-4 hours before she'll want more milk(sometimes she sleeps more but that's a rarity) and it should be out of the bloodstream by then. Nice end to a long day.

eta: i'm not trying to convince you not to wean (as others have said), but i just wanted to mention that you don't need to wean partially in order to have time for yourself. just take that time if you need it. everyone (LO included) will adjust. you can have both!
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; June 8th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.lou View Post
    Thank you. I was about to say that he likes the sippy cup but only with water. When I put milk in the sippy he tastes it and then throws it on the floor...I could put the same milk into a bottle and give it to him and he would drink it. I have one straw cup so I will try that this evening at dinner time. He doesn't usually take a bottle at that time but I'm not with him during the day when he gets his bottles (except on the weekends).

You can continue nursing him when you are with him and still have a sitter put him to bed and have a glass of wine! Just like your baby will go to sleep for his day are provider without nursing, he'll learn to go to sleep for a sitter. And you can totally have some wine...

Be back later.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I was about to reply & lost power so I'll try again...

My LO goes to bed about 7:30 and wakes about 5:30-6am. He doesn't wake in the middle of the night unless his teeth are bothering him or has diaper rash so I should be okay in that department.

As for the sitter, I don't know why I didn't think it would be okay to skip a session (especially at bedtime) but if he has a warm bottle he should be okay...I guess... I will still try to wean from his daytime bottles to a cup with a straw and see if he eventually starts to warm up to the idea...then we'll see where we are at that time in the scheme of weaning.

I can't remember all of what I wrote the first time but I know that I said I'm not in as much of a hurry and will continue nursing for a little while longer (especially now) with a much lighter weight on my shoulders. Thank you so much for all of your support! (as always)

No problem, mama! We just want you to know it doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you're enjoying nursing, you can continue, and it won't be as hard as it was the first year. It's up to you.

You can call me JoMo!